Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

UI elements are laggy and animate at only 60 fps on 144 Hz monitor.

• I'm using Opera 43 on Windows 10. I have a 144 Hz monitor and Opera's UI feels unresponsive compared to other native Windows applications. There is a small but noticeable delay of maybe 10 or 15 milliseconds before any UI event. All of the below actions feel unresponsive:

• Clicking a tab
    • Clicking the + to open a new tab
    • The new tab expanding animation stutters at at low framerate (60 fps is substandard and judders to me since I'm used to 144 fps)
    • Opening the Menu and hovering the mouse over the menu items has (the blue mouse-over highlight lags behind the 144 fps mouse cursor and skips items completely if moving fast enough)
    • Clicking anything in the Navigation Menu such as Bookmarks, History, Settings, etc. has a delay before it opens
    • Scrolling in the Settings tab is sluggish because there is a delay between when it starts scrolling and physically moving the scroll wheel (actual web pages do not have this delay)
  • Kathampy

This was the first post I made that had to be approved by a moderator before it appeared. I'm unable to edit it to reformat it properly. I am able to edit subsequent posts.
    https://forums.opera.com/topic/19574/ui-elements-are-laggy-and-animate-at-only-60-fps-on-144-hz-monitor/1

Sgunhouse

Better?

Despite I don't know the answer, the only mistake it's between FPS and Hz?
    It is right¿?

• Just to confirm: if you lower the refresh rate to 60hz, all those issues are gone? Can you see if at 72hz, 85hz, etc. the issues exist?

• Just to confirm: if you lower the refresh rate to 60hz, all those issues are gone? Can you see if at 72hz, 85hz, etc. the issues exist?

If I lower the refresh rate to 60 Hz, then the whole Windows desktop becomes just as "slow" - the issue is just masked. There must be some internal timer in Opera's UI framework that limits it to updating at 60 fps.

I noticed that Opera Developer with the new UI is much smoother and doesn't seem to be capped at 60 fps. Nevertheless it's probably a good idea to check that there are no artificial caps in the framework.

• have you check about:flags ?

• have you check about:flags ?

There is nothing there that seems to affect the UI frame rate.