Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

Scheduled logout

Hello, in order to introduce new security features and enhance your experience with Opera Forums we have to terminate all sessions that were started before Monday, March 25, 15:00 UTC.
If you find yourself logged out please rest assured that this is completely normal and expected. To participate in the discussions after that date you have to sign-in again using the "Login" button in the upper-right corner of the page.
This is a one-time action. Sorry for any inconvenience!

YouTube not optimizing?

• Hi,
    First, great app!!
    However I've noticed in the last few days that YouTube has stopped compressing. I used to get great savings, but now I'm getting almost nothing (like 16k on 200Mb).
    Running the very latest version of both apps on a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. Carrier is Optus in Australia.
    Has worked for months perfectly.
    Tried rebooting. Other apps are still showing a savings (Instagram 46% for the month). YT isn't blocked within the app and I can't find a SSL option that may be encrypting the data.
    Anyone else experiencing this?

• Developer response:
    Hey Ben, that's because with the new update, YouTube implemented a new protocol (called QUIC) that affects Opera Max. The team is looking into fixing the issue though. Thanks for the comment and your patience. /Anda

• I have the same issue since I updated YouTube last week.Since then I am not seeing any savings using opera max.I have tried to keep the video quality at "auto", but it changes to 480p.Infact,earlier today when I used YouTube for an hour,it consumed 1gb of data and the savings was negligible at 20kbs.Earlier,if I used YouTube for an hour,the savings will be in the region of 300-400mb.I hope you guys will work this out quickly so that I will be able to use YouTube without the anxiety of my data allowance getting busted

• [Moved to Opera Max]

• YT video resolution problem seems to be fixed on their side, never loose compression with that app though.

• If I Uninstalled the updates for YouTube would it go back to saving? I know that would stink, but if it works when I use YouTube than I'm ok with that, at least until Opera figures out how to fix the problem. Which hopefully won't be too long.

• Hard to say, for me was 50% savings all the time.