Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

  • built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

Big problem with this forum. Some contributors.

  • Originally posted by Pesala:

    Originally posted by CogitoSum:

    Big problem with this forum. Some contributors.

    The biggest problem is with some users whining about features missing from Opera 17, without even attempting to understand the reasons behind the changes, and being argumentative when helpful answers are given.

    I've read all the responses here with interest. This is my first response so please where I am argumentative. Stating my regret that some (two) functions have disappeared is not whining - it's a statement of regret. Any reasons behind the changes are immaterial. The bookmark bar has gone as has the ability to display Exif data.

    Originally posted by Pesala:

    You said that you miss the Bookmarks Bar, but perhaps what you really meant was the Bookmarks Menu, or the Bookmarks Panel, or the Bookmarks Manager? The answer to what you actually said has been given many times — the Quick Access Bar is the best replacement available. In fact, it is better than the Bookmarks Bar in some respects, in that it supports D&D.

    The QAB is a decent alternative but there's a problem. The QAB entry for my bookmarks shows my imported bookmarks. The bookmark importer (from the top left) doesn't show all the folders so I can't split my bookmarks up into individual QAB entries. If you could explain how to overcome this?

    Originally posted by Pesala:

    As regards the comment “a statement as to whether the concern will be addressed in the (near) future - if at all,” it has been said many times, “more features will return later.” If you want a comment specifically about the image properties dialogue, IMO it won't return. It is something an extension could do.

    Indeed extensions could do. But then again why should I import an extension to allow me to import a Chrome extension when I can far more easily use Chrome?

    Originally posted by Pesala:

    [What makes it an unpleasant forum is whiners violating the Rules of Conduct by starting threads to attack other forum members.

    I really am sorry that my request that you stop arguing is treated as an attack.

  • Originally posted by CogitoSum:

    This is my first response so please where I am argumentative.

    I wasn't talking about you, but about rs79 who posted the thread that you complained about by starting this one. The big problem is with users posting rant threads, without searching or asking for support first. Almost always, posting flame-bait will start a flame-war, while posting a polite comment or request for help will usually elicit helpful responses.

    #4 Lengthy rants can be a pain to read, and so the chances of a useful reply are drastically reduced. Remember, your audience is comprised of other Opera users who help you in their own free time. Keep it brief, and focus on the actual topic.

    Some users troll the forums with nothing better to do than argue with the ranters and flame-bait posters. I usually try to address their issues. The issues that rs79 was whining about were already addressed many times before.

    The many one-time posters or new users fail to realise that some of us visit here almost every day, so we see things from a different perspective. It gets more than a bit tiresome responding to “Why did they remove the bookmarks?” especially when they have not been removed.

    Originally posted by CogitoSum:

    Indeed extensions could do. But then again why should I import an extension to allow me to import a Chrome extension when I can far more easily use Chrome?

    Now that's what I call “being argumentative.”

  • Originally posted by Pesala:

    the Quick Access Bar is the best replacement available. In fact, it is better than the Bookmarks Bar in some respects, in that it supports D&D.

    I've seen you mention this before, Pesala, and I'm assuming by D&D you mean Drag and Drop? I don't get what you're implying, because 12.16 definitely supports this already, and I distinctly remember earlier versions, as well (though I can't recall specifically which). Thus making your statement moot.

  • Originally posted by Jito463:

    I've seen you mention this before, Pesala, and I'm assuming by D&D you mean Drag and Drop? I don't get what you're implying, because 12.16 definitely supports this already, and I distinctly remember earlier versions, as well (though I can't recall specifically which).

    They only support Drag and Drop of bookmarks and folders on the Bookmarks Bar, not D&D of bookmarks within folders, which is far more important for organising your bookmarks. You can use right-click cut/paste or open the Bookmarks Panel, and Organiser, and do it there, but the Bookmarks Bar (and menu) don't easily lend themselves to organising bookmarks.

    The QAB also supports "Sort alphabetically," which avoids a lot of work too.

  • Originally posted by CogitoSum:

    Indeed extensions could do. But then again why should I import an extension to allow me to import a Chrome extension when I can far more easily use Chrome?

    If you like Opera's core features and values better following that simple extra step is worth it.

    You don't actually need to install the extension but I think it's easier to point to it than to this.

  • Originally posted by Pesala:

    They only support Drag and Drop of bookmarks and folders on the Bookmarks Bar, not D&D of bookmarks within folders, which is far more important for organising your bookmarks. You can use right-click cut/paste or open the Bookmarks Panel, and Organiser, and do it there, but the Bookmarks Bar (and menu) don't easily lend themselves to organising bookmarks.
    The QAB also supports "Sort alphabetically," which avoids a lot of work too.

    Originally posted by CogitoSum:

    The QAB is a decent alternative but there's a problem. The QAB entry for my bookmarks shows my imported bookmarks. The bookmark importer (from the top left) doesn't show all the folders so I can't split my bookmarks up into individual QAB entries. If you could explain how to overcome this?

  • What folders doesn't it show?

  • Originally posted by sgunhouse:

    What folders doesn't it show?

    Fairly immaterial, but I've got a folder of shopping bookmarks and a folder containing travel bookmarks neither of which is displayed in the "Import bookmarks as Speed Dial items.".
    What I had to do was open each individual bookmark in Opera 12, copy the URL and then add it as a speed dial item in Opera 18. I could then combine all the entries for one folder and name it "travel" for example. But that was a long, long tedious process and I hope I never have to re-install Opera 18 since I can't see any way of exporting my bookmarks.
    Indeed, the "More tools"/"Bookmark importer" seems to read a "Documents and Settings" file (I'm using Win7) rather than asking me for a file (.adr or .html) that I've exported from Opera 12. If this is the case then I can NEVER remove Opera 12 from my PC 'cos all my info will disappear with it!
    At least IE, Firefox and Chrome give my the ability to import my saved bookmark file.....

  • I wonder what will some of furious posters do with there's lifes after shutting down of My Opera? It is absolutely not my intention to offend anyone but I quess some of them need to find a girlfriend.

  • Originally posted by rilef:

    Note that a prior version of the "Google Translate" extension is available from Opera add-ons.

    You don't actually need to install an extension to use Google Translate, you can just add a custom search engine — that's good enough for me. Select some text, then search with Google Translate.

  • Originally posted by svetivoda:

    I wonder what will some of furious posters do with there's lifes after shutting down of My Opera? It is absolutely not my intention to offend anyone but I quess some of them need to find a girlfriend.

    it has already been stated that the forums will be relaunched/migrated under the main opera domain 😉
    Also: nope, women are only trouble :jester:

  • Originally posted by serious:

    Also: nope, women are only trouble

    You're blaming the wrong cause — craving, lust, and attachment are the real cause of all the trouble.

  • @Pesala, you clearly missed the chester 😉

  • Originally posted by Pesala:

    Originally posted by serious:

    Also: nope, women are only trouble

    You're blaming the wrong cause — craving, lust, and attachment are the real cause of all the trouble.

    No, cause of all the trouble is self repetition.

  • The problem with extensions is they all seem to end up being spyware.

    If you've actually looked at the browser source code to handle EXIF you'd know it's stupid to argue against it. It's exactly the sort of trivial thing best done in the browser; the cutoff point would in my mind be if the overhead of being an extension is greater than the code to provide the functionality then leave it in the browser.

    Anybody whose serious about photos or wants to know the real timestamp looks at the EXIF data. I've have to see proof "nobody uses it" to believe that because it's exactly the opposite of what I've seen.

  • >After that all I see is condescending and argumentative posts from Pesala, scratchspace and leushino. Mostly telling us users that we don't understand the new Opera.

    I agree that some of these users are making this forums quite unpleasant, answering aggressively to almost every message, nitpicking, borderline trolling and spamming.

  • Originally posted by rs79:

    The problem with extensions is they all seem to end up being spyware. ...

    The lure of extensions (for developers) is that they allow responsibility for problems to be diluted and, at least in part, exported to the "other guy". You see it in threads (for any extensible browser) that complain of extension-related user feature problems: problem gets reported, problem gets discussed and extension involvement is determined, problem gets argued over, blame gets assigned to extension authors, blame gets returned to the browser team by extension authors, problem gets ignored. Over and over. One can detect it starting to appear even at the basic level of New Opera and the Blink engine, in the sense that Opera could be considered to now be a browser "GUI-extension" for Blink, and certain New Opera user performance issues/problems are simply dismissed by referral to the Blink authors. On the other hand, if the code is native to the browser, the responsibility for user problems (and their means of solution) rests squarely with the browser developers.

  • Originally posted by STAROSS:

    >After that all I see is condescending and argumentative posts from Pesala, scratchspace and leushino. Mostly telling us users that we don't understand the new Opera.

    I agree that some of these users are making this forums quite unpleasant, answering aggressively to almost every message, nitpicking, borderline trolling and spamming.

    Hahaha, your very own post that is an example of nitpicking. People that come to help or say truths aren't nitpicking, nor trolling nor spamming.

  • Much appreciated, Rafael. But in truth, these cry babies no longer concern me ( and I doubt Opera cares that much either). Those who are trying to learn and adapt are the ones I'd like to concentrate on. I'm truly excited about the opportunities the new browser presents.

  • Originally posted by leushino:

    Much appreciated, Rafael. But in truth, these cry babies no longer concern me ( and I doubt Opera cares that much either).

    Wow! the number of cry babies in this particular forum beggars belief. Just count the number of topics that refer to the lack of a proper bookmarks toolbar. It's CONCERN not crying. And it's nice to know that Opera probably doesn't care just like you.
    Oh, and by the way, I have another concern. When I view an item - any item - in Ebay, if there is an image I can click on it in every browser that I have installed and that includes Opera 12 - and the image will open in a larger, separate tab. But not in Opera 18.
    Should I report this error somewhere else or should I merely be a cry baby here? I guess I should comment on this to the Mozilla team and let them have some enjoyment since you - and probably Opera - don't care.................
    Oh! Wait a minute! It says report problems here...