I'm getting the exact same issue as of today (May 25th). I've ran 2 different virus scanners (also in safe mode) I've checked proxy,vpn, and extensions. Nothing has changed today except - I very rarely use skype. Today I did and it acted really strange when I started it up. After that is when the issue began with the search issues. Though I don't think that's the cause - as chrome and IE browsers are working as intended.
The problem isn't consistent either - sometimes it will go through the normal google searches, sometimes it won't. Refreshing the page when it acts weird fixes the problem after 1-3 refreshes.