Same thing is happening to my opera installation since November 2016.
- Symptoms: From time to time, especially when opening sites with (html5) video content, opera will show 'out of memory' error, and have to be restarted.
- System specs: windows 10 x64, 32GB RAM, AMD Radeon 380x, Intel 6600K.
- Misc: Windows Defender and Comodo personal firewall running. Flash is NOT installed.
What has been tried:
- Incognito / Private mode : No effect.
- VPN enabled vs disabled : No effect, maybe slightly less frequent.
- Hardware Accelerated rendering enabled vs disabled: No effect.
- New Profile / Clean Install: No effect.
For comparison: Opera (recently opened) with 4 tabs, and a youtube tab playing 3 movie trailers, and it's already at 850MB RAM usage. Vs Firefox which has around 12 tabs open and a youtube tab that has been playing a lot of other contents for at least 5 hours is sitting at 550MB RAM usage. The weird thing is, closing the youtube tab does not decrease opera's memory usage at all.
Would appreciate workarounds/suggestions.
If anyone needs more information, please let me know.