Hi, I've been using Opera since version 8 and since 12 I didn't update to the new Opera.
I really do want to use the new Opera, though, and check out everything new it has to offer. The task manager is amazing by itself, in my opinion. But here's what I feel is missing and I used a lot on Opera 12, and might even make me go back to it since it is missing. It's all about the missing customizing appearance on Opera:
(This is in order of importance to me, top to bottom)
- I used to remove the title from the tab itself, leaving only the favicon. But as of Opera 19, Version 19.0.1326.56, not only it is not possible to do that, but the title has precedence over the favicon on the tabs. This means the title covers the favicon if the tab is not selected. This couldn't be farther from the behavior I had on Opera 12. (This is how it looks like to me: http://i.imgur.com/cIVW2Un.png I think this is unmanageable)
- Since I use lots of tabs most of the time, I don't like the "close tab" button to be on it. I just close tabs either with ctrl+w or middle mouse click on them. You could do this on Opera 12, now the "x" is there all the time on the active tab.
- The status bar is mostly gone. I used to put there the current speed of download of page elements. I found that incredibly useful on my limited Internet connection. I always could see the speed at which the videos/music of the pages were downloaded, even when inside flash players (this means I used to be able to see the speed of downloads of a Youtube video, and check if the connection was being limited or not)
- The speed dial can't be disabled in new tabs. Why can't I just have about:blank in every new tab?
- The back button can't be changed to the back button with the dropdown, so I can go back multiple pages with only one click, instead of going back through lots and lots of pages that may redirect automatically, making it a clicking nightmare to go back maybe 20 pages with 5 of automatically redirecting ones amidst them.
It boggles my mind that features were plainly removed (or rather not implemented since it was remade from scratch). But they're really important features that I feel weighted a lot in me sticking to Opera all this time. I feel it's a great loss to not have those features. I have looked over Opera add-ons and I haven't found any that covered the tiny things I ask about here. So if anyone can help me about it, please do. I'd love to talk about them with an Opera 19 expert and talk about what we can do about it.
I can code and it is not completely out of the question for me to start making add-ons to cover these losses, but first I'd like to know if these features are just hidden or why these aren't in yet. Since the new Opera has been out for so long that I can't see why they didn't make it if not deliberately so.
I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to ask for these.