I am trying to assist a friend with a problem with Opera 63 failing to open, when used in conjunction with Anti-virus programs (except Windows Defender). He generally uses AVG Free edition, but the same symptoms existed when AVG was substituted with Avast and then Bitdefender.
He has used Opera Browser for windows since Version 12 or before (I have used it continuously since version 3). The problem started about 1 month ago. It cannot be tied down to a specific change of software or Windows update. System: Dell Optiplex 3010 desktop running Windows10 1903 64 Bit
On starting the PC everything appears normal, antivirus starts with Windows 10. Opera will open and operate normally. If closed down it may open again normally several times. Then it will not open. Windows 10 Task Manager shows opera starting and a Crash Report.
Windows Event Viewer shows no specific problem. At the same time the installed anti-virus program becomes unresponsive. If the computer is rebooted (or re-started) the same symptom may re-occur or both programs will be unresponsive on start-up.
It has also been noticed that sometimes, when this occurs the Cortana search bar also becomes unresponsive and the pc is a little slower. After waiting for 5+ minutes these items may return to normal but may again be unresponsive when used.
Attempts at correction.
- Uninstall the Antivirus - this is usually successful - Opera works again with Windows Defender alone installed.
- Changing the Antivirus program - this does not work the same symptoms persist with alternative AV programs.
- Repair or reinstalling Opera - does not work with AV program installed.
- Clean Installations of Both programs - i.e. all parts of Opera and AV removed including the Opera stable profile etc. and the Registry cleared of ALL pertinent keys, values and Data - This did not work.
- As 4 above installed from Safe mode.
- use a clean install of an older Version of Opera V.60 - This did not work as it immediately updated and then failed (Please Opera give us the option not to update, if only for testing)
- Finally - Re-install the C-Drive from an Image, with Windows 10 1903 (when First upgraded) -This unexpectedly failed. Opera updated immediately and failed to operate as above despite an older version of AVG installed, which I deliberately did not update. I also stopped Windows from updating the Virgin 1903 upgrade.
Both programs had co-existed under Windows 10 1903 previously.
ANY suggestions welcome.