My first time here.
My point of view on this UI.
Some good things, but far too many bad in this new UI for me.
The good :
- New menus look like more modern.
- Share it's more easy.
- Reach speed dial doesn't "close" the current website anymore. It's change the current tab instead.
- Now, Speed dial are only Speed dial, no more Bookmarks or Saved pages on it.
- The two menus (the plus at the top-left corner and the red O at the bottom-right corner) are a single menu (at the top-right corner).
The bad (for me) :
- But now, Bookmarks and Saved pages are more complex to reach.
- The new red banner, in two words : beautiful and useless. They take too much place for absolutely nothing. A phone screen are small, at least remember last state or (better for me) provide an option to disable it (or just remove it).
- I can see the previous button, but where is the next button?
- I like to have history in a single movement on the left of Speed dial, it's easy, rapid and efficient to retrieve one of the lasted viewed websites. Now, it's painful.
- Where is synced speed dial?
- There are a refresh button at the left of the home button only on the speed dial tab, but it's always disable, what does it do?
- Data saved are only in bytes, not percent. It's easy to replace "Total saved XX Mb" by "Total saved XX Mb / XX %" and doesn't take so much place.
- Now the home page/speed dial it's not anymore a tab, with a new "new tab" UI (the same when I touch the URL bar). It's not bad but :
- Why speed dial still in tab selector? It's accessible anywhere with the Home button, no need to be in tab selector and I think this can be annoying. It's not anymore a tab, but it's still a tab in the same time.
- [Bug] Click on the URL bar, then on Bookmarks in speed dial work fine, but not in a new tab.
- Only one tab Speed dial, ok, how can I open a website from Speed dial in private tab since they can't have speed dial in a private tab? With this UI, private tab are unusable : No speed dial, No bookmarks and Partial access to history (only the few suggestion when I type the URL). For Bookmarks, I can open it in a private tab with Bookmarks, but they need a long touch to select it, press the menu on the top-right corner and choose "Open in private tab". Too much tap and too much tap at different location (bottom-right corner, at the top, long in the middle and two in the top-right corner), it's too tiring for my fingers.
- It's less red and more blue.
- The new UI in one sentence : More tap for less features.
Globally, the new UI that look like more modern, but too much menus, too much tap, too much boring.
The previous one has less complex menus and are just really simple to use. No headache.
For comparison :
- Bookmarks : 1 tap on "Bookmarks", now it's 2 with the need to search a little bit the correct button due to it's non explicit appearance.
- History : The same as above, 1 swipe vs a complex and annoying method.
- Saved pages : 1 tap vs 2 taps, and "Reading list" are a less explicit name.
- Trash history : 1 swipe to access history and 1 tap on a trash icon, it's just simple, no need to search, rapid. Now, the same complex method as above to reach history and 2 taps to trash it.
- And so on.
In conclusion, that I love in Opera, it's a full featured browser with a simple UI. Now it's become a complex full featured browser. In my point of view, a simple and elegant UI become a complex and harmful UI (but it's "modern").
Simple is better than complex.