Opera 12.17 TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 settings not persistent

  • I find it hard to believe that TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 settings are not persistent. Wouldn't it be a simple matter to update Opera 12 so that TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 can be set and remain persistent?

    What could possibly be the rationale for not making these settings persistent? I use Windows XP with a 32bit non-Nx bit processor so presumably Opera 25 will not work for me.

  • Opera 29 is compatible with Windows XP Service Pack 3. It installs in a different locations by default and you can have them both installed together and the play nice so you've got nothing to lose in trying it.

  • I think it's autoupdate, which you can disable.
    https://forums.opera.com/topic/5826/unable-to-access-a-particular-site-since-yesterday

  • I find it hard to believe that TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 settings are not persistent. Wouldn't it be a simple matter to update Opera 12 so that TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 can be set and remain persistent?

    The settings stick for me when set via opera:config at least.

  • Opera 29 requires a computer which supports SSE2 instructions. Unfortunately, my 13 year-old PC does not.

    I have checked with opera:config and TLS 1.1 and 1.2 are shown checked so perhaps I will enjoy TLS persistence from now on.

  • TLS 1.1 and 1.2 have again switched off without user intervention. I have seen this behaviour on seven Opera 12 installations. All behave just like this. Why would Opera's software people cause the later TLS protocols to not be constantly available, once set? It defies comprehension.

  • Try using an older version of Opera 12. Like 12.14. This is just something you have to deal with when using outdated versions of software. There was probably a bug introduced and since they aren't updating Opera 12 anymore it simply wasn't discovered before the last patch went out.

  • Sometimes when there's a bug with a setting, you can work around it by editing operaprefs.ini while Opera is closed instead of using the settings UI. Then again, I remember that Opera stopped enabling TLS 1.1 and 1.2 by default at some point. Maybe Opera eventually implemented forceful disabling of them. Just don't remember.

  • TLS 1.1 and 1.2 have again switched off without user intervention. I have seen this behaviour on seven Opera 12 installations. All behave just like this. Why would Opera's software people cause the later TLS protocols to not be constantly available, once set? It defies comprehension.

    With Opera turned off, track down the opera_autoupdate.exe file (probably in the \updatechecker sub-folder) and change its name to something else and save that. This disables Opera's ability to do any update checking, period. Then open Opera and set the protocols the way you want, and they'll stay that way. Just realize that some of the 'weaker' protocols you select may be subject to compromise via Poodle and similar exploits. Also, there have been reports in the past that some users of Olde Opera versions experienced instability when certain protocol combinations were manually set. I've been running 12.14 for some time with the autoupdate file renamed and have had no problems - but any more, I only use Olde Opera occasionally and rarely for https connections, so YMMV.

  • My solution is to edit operaprefs.ini and then write protect it. I don't normally need to change settings and my mode of use of Opera 12.17 is not disrupted so I am happy.

  • lando242 says that Opera 12.17 got out with a bug which may have caused the issue. If that is the case, it doesn't say much for product quality testing.

  • lando242 says that Opera 12.17 got out with a bug which may have caused the issue. If that is the case, it doesn't say much for product quality testing.

    To be fair, though, 12.14 came at the very tail end of the design life cycle for Presto Opera, when staffing was going through a lot of turbulence, and Opera's entire focus was moving toward Blink. Thereafter, 12.15, 12.16, and 12.17 were simply security patches shoe-horned into 12.14, after the fact. Some users have asserted that things in Presto actually started disintegrating somewhat after the 11.6x point; personally, I felt "issues" started to show after the 12.1x series emerged. In any event, it's all history now... several years-old history. And in Internet time, that amounts to nearly a lifetime.

  • This is a bug which creates a security issue though I concede that it is now water under the bridge. I have resolved the issue to my satisfaction and want to thank you guys for the advice and information offered to me. The contrived non-availability of the file 'opera_autoupdate.exe' did the trick.

    I have a notion that using Opera 12.17 confers a degree of security through obscurity. I am not complacent and employ anti-exploit tools, amongst many other things, to assure myself a fairly peaceful life. The facility of TLS 1 through 1.1 and 1.2 allows me to swan around wherever I like. The Qualys SSL Labs Client Test (via https://www.ssllabs.com/projects/index.html) is passed with flying colours Those web sites that don't work with Presto are ignored.

Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.