• Login
    • Search
    • Categories
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Users
    • Groups
    • Rules
    • Help

    Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

    Download Opera browser with:

    • built-in ad blocker
    • battery saver
    • free VPN
    Download Opera

    Paste Protect causing issues with Google Gemini

    General
    3
    5
    219
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • D
      duncanm last edited by leocg

      I've never heard of this before, it's new, and annoying. I was working with Google Gemini and it glitched up, it does that from time to time, you have to wait a while, then copy and re-enter your prompt, it's a server-side issue. But when I tried to do that Opera tried to block me with something called Paste Protect, it doesn't seem to allow anything to be copy/pasted in the browser, I was able to complete the task but I had to hold down a button in Paste Protect. What is the problem with re-entering an AI prompt and can this feature be disabled ?

      Reply Quote 0
        1 Reply Last reply
      • M
        MikeHassi96 last edited by

        I hit the same thing when pasting a long prompt back in, and holding the button down was the only workaround I found too. It would be great if Opera let us disable it for trusted sites, as shown in this example. Hopefully a setting for that is coming soon.

        Reply Quote 0
          burnout426 1 Reply Last reply
        • burnout426
          burnout426 Volunteer last edited by

          You can goto the URL opera://settings/privacy/pasteProtect and disable it.

          See https://blogs.opera.com/news/2026/07/opera-introduces-paste-protect-to-keep-you-safe-from-clipboard-attacks/ and https://blogs.opera.com/security/2026/07/how-opera-paste-protect-guards-against-clipboard-attacks/ for more info.

          Reply Quote 0
            D 1 Reply Last reply
          • D
            duncanm @burnout426 last edited by

            @burnout426 Thank you for that information. The setting is on by default and it shouldn't be. Opera is my main browser and I didn't know about it. It takes internet security to an absurd extreme. It's telling me I'm too dumb to be allowed to paste my own code into an AI for perfectly routine code review. If you're the sort of person who would paste some unknown code into your machine because some random internet source told you to maybe you shouldn't be hanging out on the internet in the first place. In any event it interferes with routine workflow by generating false positives, they really need to go back to the drawing board with that one.

            Reply Quote 0
              1 Reply Last reply
            • burnout426
              burnout426 Volunteer @MikeHassi96 last edited by

              @MikeHassi96 said in Paste Protect causing issues with Google Gemini:

              I found too. It would be great if Opera let us disable it for trusted sites

              There's an option at the URL opera://settings/privacy/pasteProtect for that.

              Reply Quote 0
                1 Reply Last reply
              • First post
                Last post

              Computer browsers

              • Opera for Windows
              • Opera for Mac
              • Opera for Linux
              • Opera beta version
              • Opera USB

              Mobile browsers

              • Opera for Android
              • Opera Mini
              • Opera Touch
              • Opera for basic phones

              • Add-ons
              • Opera account
              • Wallpapers
              • Opera Ads

              • Help & support
              • Opera blogs
              • Opera forums
              • Dev.Opera

              • Security
              • Privacy
              • Cookies Policy
              • EULA
              • Terms of Service

              • About Opera
              • Press info
              • Jobs
              • Investors
              • Become a partner
              • Contact us

              Follow Opera

              • Opera - Facebook
              • Opera - Twitter
              • Opera - YouTube
              • Opera - LinkedIn
              • Opera - Instagram

              © Opera Software 1995-