Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

Scheduled logout

In order to introduce new security features and enhance your experience with Opera Forums we had to terminate all sessions that were started before Monday, March 25, 15:00 UTC.
If you find yourself logged out please rest assured that this is completely normal and expected. To participate in the discussions after that date you have to sign-in again using the "Login" button.
Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Opera 26, Yosemite and resource hogging.

• Hi,

I'm currently running the latest version of Opera (26.0.1656.60) on Yosemite. I keep experiencing Opera being a constant source of irritation due the resource hogging and battery drain.

If I'm on a site running videos or lots of pictures (eg. youtube and izismile.com) I'll notice the process "Opera Helper" taking up 100-140 % of my CPU and make the fan spin up to a noisy and extremely annoying level.

Have any of you guys any solutions to this issue besides switching to Win?

• Update flash player ?.

• I haven't installed flash player since it's an ever bigger annoyance with Opera.

The entire system is fresh (about a month old). Opera wasn't migrated from the old system either.

• The “Opera Helper” process is either audio/video decoding (which is a resource intensive task) or a plug-in (which can be very resource intensive). If you enable View: Developer Menu and then choose Developer: Task Manager from the menu bar, you’ll see more details on what the processes are doing.

• I have the very similar problem. Reason why I switched to chrome. Unfortunately I've a lot of bookmarks within Opera since I'm a long time user, maybe 14 years+ or so. One thing that would help is setting flash content "on demand". So Opera won't play content until you click on the symbol of lash content. It's usually a black field w. that triangle symbol.

• Is Opera supposed to use as many resources (and slightly more= as Chrome does on Yosemite? Same tabs and same extensions.

• Hello i have the similar problem, what can i do?? Thanks

• For me opera uses less resources/battery than chrome or firefox on my macbook air (2013). I'm using opera 28 though.

My suggestions for best resource usage/performance:

Make sure you are using ppapi flash (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/), and disable npapi flash in opera:plugins

Enable click to play for plugins: Opera menu > settings > websites > click to play

Enable tab hibernation: opera://flags/#tab-hibernation

If you are using adblock or adblock plus, consider switching to ublock (much lighter on memory and cpu): https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/ublock/?display=en