Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

Scheduled logout

In order to introduce new security features and enhance your experience with Opera Forums we had to terminate all sessions that were started before Monday, March 25, 15:00 UTC.
If you find yourself logged out please rest assured that this is completely normal and expected. To participate in the discussions after that date you have to sign-in again using the "Login" button.
Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Opera Beta 26 for Linux installation silently fails.

• Running dpkg -i * as root in the download directory appears to work and show all of the right messages but on starting Opera it still shows version 12.16 on the help menu. I tried repeating the installation:

(Reading database ... 343088 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack opera-beta_26.0.1656.17_amd64.deb ...
    Unpacking opera-beta (26.0.1656.17) over (26.0.1656.17) ...
    Setting up opera-beta (26.0.1656.17) ...
    Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.13-1) ...
    Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.10.1-0ubuntu2) ...
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1ubuntu1) ...
    Processing triggers for mime-support (3.54ubuntu1) ...

It says that it's installing over 26.0.1656.17 but the installed version stays at 12.16. opera --version reports Opera 12.16 Build 1860 for Linux x86_64.

What do I try next?

• Opera beta installs alongside. It will not replace 12.16. You probably have them both installed. Try starting opera-beta from the command line, like so:

opera-beta &

Additionally, log out and back into your desktop environment if the silverly logo for Opera beta is not present in your applications menu.

• Thanks. I hadn't noticed that.

• No problem, glad it worked out for you in the end.