bye opera

  • after 7 years of using opera and telling others to use it i am done
    12 is no longer supported and getting glitchy
    18 is useless imo
    the direction the company has gone in directions with the gui i don't care for and the functionality is not what it was
    the rise of html5 is creating a whole new browser war and opera doesn't seem to be moving in right direction with the gui
    it always about ease of use with anything on-line
    in that opera is failing

    bye

    p.s. no clue as to which browser i am going to use now
    will try as many as i find interesting and what works will make itself clear in the long run

  • You know, it's a damn shame. I too have been an avid opera user for years. I have also gotten many people to switch to opera. I have tried other browsers since the release of opera 15 and so on and none of which come close to opera 12's functionality.

    I'm really trying to stay hopeful. I really am. But with every update, I lose more and more hope for Opera's future. I was under the understanding that they would re implement old features, but it hadn't been happening. I have a laundry list of features that I use everyday in Opera 12 that are now gone. Every time a new version is released, I install it, open a new tab and try to right click and scroll through my tabs. After that fails, I press f4 to turn on the panel, which also fails. Then I uninstall it and try again with the next release. It's a never ending process, and these are just two basic features that I need just to get started with my browsing.

  • im left a opera and changed the maxthon .. opera beautiful days is gone 💤

  • The day integrated mail was ditched was literally the last time I used opera.

  • Another useless thread. There is no attempt to ask for help in this thread. It should be closed (along with several others today). You guys make me laugh with your little grandstanding, soapbox bye-bye routine. You want to go bye-bye? Then go. Why announce it? Surely you can't think that anyone from Opera will read a thread like this one. Just go.

  • leushino "You guys make me laugh with your little grandstanding"

    oh the irony:) and yet you added rude and condescending to the grandstanding in your post. you must truly be bitter about losing the presto engine:O

  • Firefox is the way to go nowadays; Opera 19 falls quite a bit behind in my estimation.

  • This is really a worthless thread.

    It's always when Opera releases a new version (you can also notice this behavior in the Stable releases posts at blogs.opera.com). These trolls don't even follow the development via the Desktop Team blog nor give any useful feedback, then they hear about the new version, get butthurt because their "pet feature" wasn't implemented yet and come here in the forum wave good bye like anyone is gonna miss them. It's always these one-time-posters that never cared to say "thanks" to the devs or anyone ever.

  • Originally posted by rafaelluik:

    This is really a worthless thread.

    It's always when Opera releases a new version (you can also notice this behavior in the Stable releases posts at blogs.opera.com). These trolls don't even follow the development via the Desktop Team blog nor give any useful feedback, then they hear about the new version, get butthurt because their "pet feature" wasn't implemented yet and come here in the forum wave good bye like anyone is gonna miss them. It's always these one-time-posters that never cared to say "thanks" to the devs or anyone ever.

    i don't follow this logic. did you email bill gates and thank him for windows? that would make sense if opera was open source, but the developers make good money and have been compensated. and its uncouth to refer to opera's non-nerd users as trolls.

  • Originally posted by blech23:

    im left a opera and changed the maxthon .. opera beautiful days is gone 💤

    maxthon is made in china. most people have privacy concerns with google, but this would take it to an entire new level. all google really wants is your browsing habits for advertising. china wants our national secrets, business secrets etc. plus its search engine partner (also in china) has been found to engage in illegal/unethical activity. something to think about.

  • actually no so much grandstanding
    more a lament
    i have kept abreast of the changes and what the development team has been doing which is why i am over opera
    i don't like the direction its going
    the functionality i liked about opera just isn't there to be honest
    i know why they are doing it and understand it, doesn't mean i like it or that i agree with it
    and yes i do understand why the they cant use presto
    html5 changes the browser game and is starting a new browser war, and i think opera is going in wrong direction with it
    so i am done
    sad thing is pretty much every browser out is mostly useless

  • I wonder what you need...

  • Originally posted by TreeGo:

    Firefox is the way to go nowadays; Opera 19 falls quite a bit behind in my estimation.

    [sarcasm]
    And isn't it cynical if we think about those old days where this Phoenix-thing came to being? Us Opera Nerds feeling so superiour with our "Has it all, developed it before, ..." Browser compared to those ridiculous firesomething-fanboys? Us having the fully edged out Blueprint for what those Devs just thought to invent for their lil' pet-browser? This crappy security-riscs called extentions we have never needed (but sadly, in some way still got'em in the end) and laughed about. Sigh... yeah, bitter sweet irony that it has come to this. Us migrating to the old "enemy" just because that wannabe clone by now is somehow the closest thing we can get as a substitute for our lost love?
    *"And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side // Of my darling—my darling—my life and my bride, // In her sepulchre there by the sea— // In her tomb by the sounding sea." [E.A. Poe, Annabel Lee] *
    [/sarcasm]

    Damned and so it seems that I am getting old and crumpy :sigh:

  • Actually I still fail to migrate to Firefox. Once in a time, I try to browse with it, but vanilla fox is unusable to me and even if I install a shitload of extensions I still miss features from Opera. However, with Opium even Internet Explorer is an option (on Windows, of course). That is just how bad it is. (Granted, IE did catch up a little bit in versions 10 and 11, too.)

  • Originally posted by missingno:

    Actually I still fail to migrate to Firefox. Once in a time, I try to browse with it, but vanilla fox is unusable to me and even if I install a shitload of extensions I still miss features from Opera. However, with Opium even Internet Explorer is an option (on Windows, of course). That is just how bad it is. (Granted, IE did catch up a little bit in versions 10 and 11, too.)

    ie caught up a lot. they're really fast and secure now. all those security holes are plugged (as of present anyway). they have active x filtering, smartscreen filter and a very secure protected mode to take on chromes sandbox.

  • Originally posted by biggerabalone:

    ie caught up a lot. they're really fast and secure now.

    To understand the difference between IE - especially for operating systems such as Vista and XP - and Opera, look at the summary at the bottom of
    http://caniuse.com/#agents=desktop&statuses=rec
    It shows that IE8 and 9 support far less web standards than Opera. I've seen web designers curse because of the time they lose making web sites compatible to IE.

  • Look at the PeaceKeeper and HTML5 Results for IE11 and Firefox, even compared to Opera 11.64 they are poor. Of course, benchmark tests are only part of what makes a browser fast (in use), which is why I am still with Opera 11.64.

    Opera 19.0.1326.47 scored 3969 and 6/7
    Opera 11.64 build 1403 scored 3194 and 5/7
    Internet Explorer 11 scored 2392 and 5/7
    Firefox 26.0 scored 2419 and 7/7

  • Originally posted by labourer:

    Originally posted by biggerabalone:

    ie caught up a lot. they're really fast and secure now.

    To understand the difference between IE - especially for operating systems such as Vista and XP - and Opera, look at the summary at the bottom of
    http://caniuse.com/#agents=desktop&statuses=rec
    It shows that IE8 and 9 support far less web standards than Opera. I've seen web designers curse because of the time they lose making web sites compatible to IE.

    ie 8 and 9 are old news and old tech. its like saying ie 11 supports more web standards than opera presto. truth is, ie is a dominate browser, 1 in 4 use it. and it only lost so much ground in recent years because of the unpatched security holes in 8 and 9 (which gave tons of bad publicity). their usage will likely increase again with 11 (unless new holes surface and are unpatched). its hard to not have so many users when it comes installed on windows.

    and in terms of security, here's a good read:

    "Internet Explorer 10 not only blocks over 99% of malware, but also has fewer software vulnerabilities than other browsers on Windows."

    https://blogs.windows.com/ie/b/ie/archive/2013/06/21/internet-explorer-10-provides-safer-browsing.aspx?Redirected=true

  • Originally posted by leushino:

    Another useless thread. There is no attempt to ask for help in this thread. It should be closed (along with several others today). You guys make me laugh with your little grandstanding, soapbox bye-bye routine. You want to go bye-bye? Then go. Why announce it? Surely you can't think that anyone from Opera will read a thread like this one. Just go.

    You're as bad. Every time anyone complains about Opera you come out with the same, tired old speech.

    I wish you'd give it a rest because, like the people you respond to, your contribution adds nothing useful at all.

  • Originally posted by biggerabalone:

    ...truth is, ie is a dominate browser, 1 in 4 use it.......
    and in terms of security, here's a good read.......

    People love sticking to their old prejudices. Truth is, IE11 is amongst the very best in terms of security, speed, stability and standards compliance. It is no longer the laughing stock of the browser world.

    HOWEVER - it has one major failing which renders it a show-stopper for me: it has almost no customisability at all. Damn shame, really.

Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.