Oops! Failed to transcode URL

  • That brought me here after 8 years. My account is still active although My Opera is gone.

    I get "failed to transcode URL" message many times and some webpages become inaccessible. I use opera mini 4.5 and I have opera mini 3.2 and opera mini 7 on my mobile which I almost never use. When opera mini 4.5 gives above message for some xyz url, other 2 browsers give above message for same xyz url. So I think it is not browser specific problem. It seems Opera servers use my phone to keep track of all activities and it associates xyz url with my phone, not with opera mini 4.5, 3.2 or 7 which are on my phone. So when xyz url is screwed on server, it gets screwed on my all 3 browsers. Same xyz url works fine on non-opera browsers.

    Whatever it may be, please fix this problem.

    Thanks !

  • Don't hold your breath & don't expect them to care... they've proven consistently..they don't. They would much rather you use a different browser, like UC

  • This is one of the links which is giving me trouble. http://www.twitter.com/mkoirala If someone using opera mini click on it, it may solve problem. Other site is mygov.nic.in. When I enter username/password, opera gives 'failed to transcode url' message.

    I googled, other users also face this problem. Someone said switching between mobile view on/off, logging in/out solves problem. I tried it many times, deleted cookies and history many time, even reloaded browser, but problem persists.

  • Twiter link has a double fail in private mode with opera mini 8. Check twitter status, perhaps the problem is on their side.

  • When opera mini 4.5 gives above message for some xyz url, other 2 browsers give above message for same xyz url. So I think it is not browser specific problem. It seems Opera servers use my phone to keep track of all activities and it associates xyz url with my phone, not with opera mini 4.5, 3.2 or 7 which are on my phone. So when xyz url is screwed on server, it gets screwed on my all 3 browsers.

    In Opera Mini pages are rendered on server, so in most cases certain URL will fail on all Opera Mini versions. The Opera Mini server simply sends the error message to the OM browser.

  • I get this problem occasionally in Mini reading a particular blog with my iPhone 4s.

    I'm not sure that the "oops" happens at the server end, though. As I understand how Mini works, when I request a url in my Mini client/app, Mini on my phone sends the request to an Opera server. The Opera server reads the requested page and renders a "page-view" appropriate to my phone and my settings. The page-view gets sent to my phone where the Mini client decodes and displays that page-view. (Or tries to...)

    Here's where I think it's a client side issue: When I get an "oops" message, I repeat my request, wait until I see most of the page rendered, then hit the stop button. After that, I can read the blog content I want, though some of the formatting might be a bit off. If it were an Opera server-side issue, I'd expect it to fail before sending a page-view, with just the "oops" and without any content.

    (This is all based on my presumption that Mini is rendering a single page-view and not sending multiple page-view parts down for a single url. If page-views are rendered in parts, ignore this post!)

    -jk

  • Oops error can replace: 1.full memory (amount of data which can be compiled, server load issues). When too many elements in javascript or images with large placeholders are on the same page then this error can occur randomly. Page reload may help in some cases. 2. timeout (sites unreachable included, routing problem) Check, - javascript:while(1)alert("null") - (for testing purpose only, full mobile browsers can hang on that) can't be resolved in any way, more than that private mode fail when is enabled as on twitter link mentioned before. This case doesn't have any workaround until is fixed on server side or by site admin, ninja skills are required.

  • The thing is: I regularly get this error "Oops! Failed to transcode URL" after(!) Opera Mini has SUCCESSFULLY(!) loaded a page!!! This is the most annoying thing!

    It SUCCESSFULLY loads a page, then I am reading the text, and then, all of a sudden, maybe one minute or so after it has loaded and displaed successfully, the page disappears and gets replaced by the error message "Oops! Failed to transcode URL".

    I hate it! It is so stupid and unnecessary, because Opera Mini has already loaded the page successfully!!!

    It happens on many main stream news sites like "handelsblatt.de", "focus.de" and many many others. I am facing this problem every day multiple times, and I am fed up now! A one-star rating of the Opera Mini Browser is already too much! Nobody needs such a crappy piece of software!

  • I find it's almost always related to embedded ads. If the page is taking a while to load, I stop it. I usually have the entire page for reading, even if the pics and ads don't load.

    -jk

Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.