Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

Opera downloads continously from Google.

• This extension blocks only the connections from the pages opened inside Opera but not external ones.

• Have Opera explained this?

• Go to the settings and uncheck:

• prediction service,
    • predict network actions,
    • send feature using information.

Does this still occur? These are options that will use traffic.

Look at your speed dial entries and check if there are some entries without a thumbnail. If an entry doesn't have a thumbnail, Opera tries to access the site to "complete" the Speed Dial entry. That leads to a some traffic at the start of Opera.

• Go to the settings and uncheck:

• prediction service,
    • predict network actions,
    • send feature using information.
      Does this still occur? These are options that will use traffic.
      Look at your speed dial entries and check if there are some entries without a thumbnail. If an entry doesn't have a thumbnail, Opera tries to access the site to "complete" the Speed Dial entry. That leads to a some traffic at the start of Opera.

The speed dials are all with their thumbnails.
    I disabled all 3 options and for the moment I'm not seeing strange traffic anymore.
    I have to test longer because this problem was discontinous.
    Then I will try to activate one option at a time.

• UPDATE: After an hour the "misterious download" returned 😞

• Does Opera use Google Safe Browsing?

• Bingo! Finally I discovered the real cause of this problem.
    I installed a packet sniffer and I saw that all that traffic was originated from youtube.
    Considering that I didn't have any Youtube page opened I rimembered that only one extension could cause this traffic: "GetThemAll - Any file downloader"!
    Probably throughout my browsing this extension starts to download all the various videos embedded in sites and keeps to download them also after closing the pages.
    What a pity, it's a useful extension.

• UPDATE: New version of this extension resolves the issue! 🆙

• Thx alot simcard. It solved this problem. I was using FVD Video Downloader and after disableing "random downloads" stops.

• Thx alot simcard. It solved this problem. I was using FVD Video Downloader and after disableing "random downloads" stops.

Try also to report the bug to the developer.
    It has taken about a month to resolve that bug after my bug report.