Install Chrome Extensions
albertop last edited by albertop
as a help forum thumb rule, next time remember to specify at least:
- which OS you use (type and version)
- which Opera browser (name/type and version - there are many)
- which extension (name and version) you got that error on
- and what the steps you've done exactly to reach to that error.
That said, anyway, at least you provided the exact error message, that is fine .
Another thumb rule, is: "Google is your friend", that is, do search yourself!
Seems though, you've not tried to enter that error message into browser search bar and to press Enter... Ok, nope, I've done it for you.
The very first result for the error message search is that:
By reading this page (question, comments and answers), you could probably understand (at least) that:
- there are different version of the extension package format, for different Chrome browser versions
- so, downloading from an old browser version, it results always in an old package format
- and, that this downloaded extension in old format, is not compatible with the new browser version(s).
So, if you've got that message, the error means that (most probably!):
- you may have get that extension from a different browser than that where you tried to install it on, and it was not updated
- or else, that you happened to downloaded the extension just before to update (or auto-update) the Opera browser to latest version, and then you tried to install it after the update).
Case (1) sample instance: downloading the ext. from Chrome (probably old version?) and the installing on Opera (latest version probably ?).
Anyway, the problem should be like that.
[Note anyway, that the two browsers Opera and Chrome latest version, are not guaranteed to be always aligned to the same code base version, and this in turn can possibly make the ext. format temporarily incompatible among them].
Then, if your case is like (2) or any other variant of it, simply downloading the extension again from the updated Opera, and the problem should disappear.
If instead your problem is like case (1), the solutions that come to my mind are just two, and are both very simple:
- try again to get the same extension, from the same Chrome store web page address, but, downloading it right from the same Opera browser, where you want to install it (this solution will work every time);
- or else, update both the Google browser and Opera browser to latest version, before to try to download the extension again from Chrome, then try to install it on Opera (this, anyway, could not work, if for whatever reason Chrome and Opera are currently not in sync to the same code base version, and there is a leap of ext format).
I suggest absolutely the first solution, because it is always better practice (and more polite) to download from the same browser where you want to install, but probably also the second solution can work (no 100% warranty anyway, as above said).
Additional note: for security consideration, I also suggest you to keep the Chrome browser always updated, even if you don't use it, because leaving it old, could open your device to malware, when occasionally used for google drive, documents or other stuff like, or occasional browsing.
(If you instead are sure don't use it for anything, then there's no reason to keep it on board...)
vincentlouwage last edited by
yandexakif last edited by
it is succesfully!!!
albertop last edited by albertop
[seems that this solution is not good for Vista, please see the update in the other reply]
Hi Serina, my version of "Opera Desktop" is currently 67.0.3575.137.
Definitely your version is not updated (!), and your problems could depend totally on this.
This is also strange, because the auto-update feature on the browser, it's not easy to disable. If you have followed some web-site indications on how to disable it, you could have permanently compromised it.
How to remedy:
 Backup your data
First of all, do a full backup of your bookmarks:
- right-click on your bookmark toolbar, selecting "Bookmarks..."
- from the panel that opens, on lower left, selecting "Import/Export". Export all the bookmarks. Save the resulting file in a safe location, possibly off from the C drive. You can restore them if needed, from same panel.
Then, to do a full profile backup in Opera, follow these steps:
- Open the opera://about page, ignore the version update messages for now
- On that page, go down to the "Paths" section, you will see listed as "Profile" the path where the Opera profile data are saved on your system.
- Copy that path fully, then open a File Explorer window, and paste it into the address bar of File Explorer; or else, use WINDOWS+R and paste the path in the text box, then press Enter, to open a new window at that location.
Leave that window open for now.
- On another File Explorer window, preferably on a not system drive (example, D drive), create a directory "<insert current AAAAMMGG date here> Opera profile backup" (for instance, "2020 04 21 Opera profile backup"), where to store the saved data, then go inside the new directory, and keep that window also open in Explorer.
- With the two Explorer windows open, close all visible windows of Opera, be sure that no browser window are opened. Check in task manager (right click on task bar, select task manager) that no Opera is running.
- When all is ok (no Opera execution), copy all elements from the Opera profile folder (click inside, then CTRL-A to select all, then CTRL-C to copy) then switch (alt-tab) to the backup folder (empty), and paste all in (CTRL-V). The number of resulting elements and the space occupied (info on bottom area of file explorer window) should be the same. Close the two Explorer windows.
Note: If you are expert, you can also use a compressor to do the same stuff, going up to a level and zipping the folder "Opera Stable" to a safe location, but the above instruction are the simplest to perform IMHO.
 Try to auto-update.
After the backup done, open back again the browser and go again on the opera://about page said:
- If this is possible and still working, the browser should try to automatically automatic itself. Maybe if can require some confirmation or so to start the process. If that seems to work, just follow the instructions and complete the update, eventually rebooting your system if required.
- It is also possible that the update has to be performed in steps, because of excessive number of versions to cover, then after updating, reopen the about page again, and let the browser to check if some more update is necessary. Watch for the message "browser is updated" to appear, version should be around or above 67.
If this doesn't work, please pass by to the next solution.
 update manually if auto-update won't work
Simply, from your browser, download latest program version directly from Opera Software site (www.opera.com) and not elsewhere, then close all program and browser instances, and optionally (and preferably) close also all other program executing, then install the downloaded installer on your system (it will overwrite the old version you have).
The backup you made as first step, should serve as a precaution, because a long version number distance from your Opera installed to the current version available, is a possible source of problems while updating. In case of problems you should be able to restore your data.
If any problems arise while updating, please create a new topic in the Opera Forum about "problems updating an old version of Opera to the latest".
albertop last edited by
Update: seems that your version is the latest available compatible with Windows Vista, so you cannot update your Opera version. This indeed is a possible cause for the problems you observe with the extensions.
Most probably you should try to download the Chrome extensions from a version likely old of Chrome, to force the Chrome store to send you an outdated package format to be installed with your old Opera.
I dunno if this is feasible, however.
You should install a new Os or change your system sorry.
successus100 last edited by
Don't work for me, when I push install button of an addon, it says cheking forever.
xpolramitak last edited by
it doesn't work, when I press install button of an addon, it says cheking forever and there is no addon install button in extension manager. i need help