windows xp

• can anyone tell me if opera 12.16 woks well with windows xp

• It does work well. At least the 32-bit version does. The modern Opera/Chromium is also fully functional under XP.

• how can i tell if i have 32 bit

• Look at the Help menu, About Opera.

The setup files are also named differently:

64-bit = Opera_1216_en_Setup_x64.exe
    32-bit = Opera_1216_en_Setup.exe

• If you're actually asking whether you have the 32 or 64-bit version of Windows XP, the "offical" Microsoft answer is
    (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218 ) :

Click Start, and then click Run.
    Type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
    Click the General tab. The operating system is displayed as follows:
    For a 64-bit version operating system, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version < Year> appears under System.
    For a 32-bit version operating system, Windows XP Professional Version <Year> appears under System.

Just be aware that a few people have reported some problems with 64-bit Opera 12.16 that don't seem to crop up in the 32-bit version. Since Presto Opera (12.16 and earlier) are no longer in development, any such problems are not going to be fixed. FYI, In any case, later Opera versions (>15) don't exist in anything other than 32-bit editions.

• ok new question why when i click down load 12.16 i wind up 18

• You shouldn't. Are you at Opera's own download page (Opera. Made for your computer)? About 2/3 of the way down that page, you should see:

Looking for the previous version? Download Opera 12

That's the link to click that will get you 12.16.

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.