Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

Scheduled logout

In order to introduce new security features and enhance your experience with Opera Forums we had to terminate all sessions that were started before Monday, March 25, 15:00 UTC.
If you find yourself logged out please rest assured that this is completely normal and expected. To participate in the discussions after that date you have to sign-in again using the "Login" button.
Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Opera crashing/freezing on start. GPUCache issue.

• Hi!

Stability recently really took a hit with the latest Opera releases...

Currently I am having this beautiful "user experience":

Whenever I close Opera or restart my Linux box, I can not open Opera again.

It immediately freezes Gnome, everything becomes unresponsive.

Only thing I can still do is switching to a console and reboot from there.

After manually deleting .config/opera/GPUCache and .config/opera/ShaderCache/GPUcache it usually starts again.

It does not matter if I have GPU hardware acceleration active in settings or not.

Any ideas how to solve it? Really annoying.

Running latest release on Solus with Gnome desktop.
    System is a Ryzen 2400G with integrated Vega graphics, which is quite stable and fast with the latest kernels.

• Hi @MartinTheWanderer, as a workaround to the issue you can try to run the Opera with the switch as follows: /usr/bin/opera --disable-gpu-shader-disk-cache, and check if this helps.

• @l33t4opera sounds reasonable, will give that a try and report back.

BTW starting Opera with a fresh profile works, but for obvious reasons I don't like to start over every time some update messes something up LOL

• Ha!

thanks @l33t4opera , that seems to solve it. Still a bit strange why Opera does not clean up after itself properly and instead crashes when using the cache...

BTW when started from a terminal, Opera always shows this message, before it freezes (but also when it decides to work):
    [1837:1837:0110/093750.391591:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(379)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.

Related?

• Hi @MartinTheWanderer, you're welcome. It looks like a bug in some cases, I can't reproduce it myself. You can file a report about it, using Opera's bug report wizard. Regarding second issue, try to run the Opera with --disable-namespace-sandbox switch, but even it fixes it, that's also a workaround to the real problem, perhaps it will be fixed in one of next versions of Chromium.