Can't install Opera 51 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

• Opera 50 can't be upgraded to 51 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Try to install Opera 51 but fail with "dependency is not satisfiable libdbus-1-3(>=1.9.14)" return.

• Thanks! I'll stay with Opera 50.

• @leocg : So is this just gonna stay like this? Can't Opera make the package backwards compatible?

14.04 is a long term support version, still supported until 2019 (at least on Kubuntu).
    If I have to stuck on version 50 for at least for the next 1.5 year, I think I have to move again to another browser, just when I've regained my long lost love for Opera... 😕

And no, I don't want to upgrade my OS as long as it's supported. It's too much hassle on a dual-boot system just for a browser upgrade. I'm perfectly fine with it otherwise.

• @metaltrabant Yes, at least for now it seems that things will stay this way. If they are going to change their decision in the future, only time will tell.

• @leocg : Thanks, I think it's time to move to Tetzchner's new browser then. It's a good browser, just the user experience is so much better and fine tuned in Opera... I'm sad that I have to leave Opera again, but can't stay on an old version "forever".

• I just found the "why" behind that change. Opera 51 requires libdbus-1-3 to be >= 1.9.14, while opera 50 required it ot be >= 1.2.14.
    This makes in unable to install in other "old" distros as well, e.g. debian 8 which is 1 year younger than ubuntu 14.04 (released Aprin 2015) in and its eol is also one year later (April 2020). I would post more examples if more distros had better package search webpages.

To be honest, I really like that devs of closed source software are updating their apps and follow the... flow of things on linux. There are 2 closed source apps I would install but can't because their maintainers decided to built, package and make them depend on 2 old versions of specific libraries, one for each app.

As for vivaldi, I will switch to it if one day (for most important to least)

• if it switches from electron to a proper toolkit for its ui. Electron is the worst toolkit of our days and its poor performance can only be compared to the all time crap, java.
    • if it implements speed dial the way presto opera used to, i.e. ctrl+1 opens this, ctrl+2 opens that etc.
    • if it bundles a better build of libffmpeg than opera, giving it better html5 multimedia support

Until then, opera will be my everyday browser.

• I just found out that my ubnutu 14.04 won't upgrade to Opera 51. It's been useful as a secondary browser, and I find it very frustrating that its component depends on ubuntu 16.04. However, neither Canonical nor Opera is responsible for that LTS. I just hope that we could at least get security updates.

• @metaltrabant Same here. Wtf I wanna change my OS because a web browser! In Ubuntu Trusty I can install the new version of Firefox, Chrome, Vivaldi... and Chromium!! Opera is based in Chromium!! If Opera owners think you're plenty of users, ok. You force me to change my laptop web browser... and with this I will change also the browser in my cellphone, tablet...

• Allow me once more, because I was at your position ~10 years ago that I abandoned ubuntu and every other release based distro...

Things in linux change and they change rapidly. In order for devs and users to keep up they have to constantly upgrade their apps because new stuff comes along and old stuff is deprecated quickly. E.g. in 2014, qt4 was a mainstream toolkit and every qt app was build with it. Fast forwart to 2018 and qt4 is half dead and we count which qt4 apps remain to be ported to qt5. And as a friend of mine once said to make his point: "Let's say I give you two installation disks, one of windows 7 and one of debian 5 (or any other old version of a linux distro). Both were released in 2009. Which one would you keep and which one would you throw away?"

Distros.
    When a distro is labeled as "stable" (or "lts" in ubuntu's terms) it means that every single package and lib will stay at the exact same version throuout its lifetime so as to have a stable... foundation for anyone who wants to build on. That's why stable versions get only security updates for their packages and nothing more. That's why their release cycle concers server stuff more than desktop users.

Ubuntu and the small exception to the above rule.
    Excluding firefox, chromium and thunderbird, name one app that was updated to its newest upstream version since the release of 14.04 (or 16.04). I think there has to be one more, maybe two, that I now forget. Every other app has stayed the same since then. Why? Because of the above.
    And why are only these 3 updated? Because years ago, ubuntu's forums were filled with whining threads like "My favorite app was updated... last week from upstream, but we (= ubuntu users) did not get the update yet. Why?". So ubuntu decided to update some really popular apps, making an exception to the above, to keep its users pleased. And that brings us to backporting...

Backporting.
    Newest versions of apps depend on new libs etc, but new libs are not available for some. So what distros do is to patch the new apps so as to work with their old libs.
    This procedure is known as backporting and it has a finite number of times that it can be done. Actually it stops when it hits a old enough lib that can not work with the new app.

Closed source apps.
    Closed source apps can not be patched so as to work with older (or even different) libs. Once the dev of that app decides to change something, it's over. Can you imagine google deciding to build chrome in gtk3 and asking distros if they "allow" the change? No. It's "I switch chrome to gtk3. You either have it or gtfo!", plain and simple.

To sum up, as the opera devs respect that you not willing to change to a more recent version of the distro in order to keep their browser on your system, respect them back for keeping their browser up to date with the latest changes.

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.