Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

Multiple User/Profile support

• I know this can be done manually by creating links on the desktop with different profile directories specified, but that is ridiculous. Opera already has the plumbing so to speak, it just needs a front end to it.

Make a drop down user menu like chrome has to be able to open a window with a different user / profile and create new users / profiles.

This is a critical feature. There are lots of people who have multiple people using a single computer and each user needs to be able to have their own profile without having to resort to manually creating links or having multiple users in windows. Also, there are many people who work with multiple profiles for different specific purposes.

There is no good reason why this hasn't been already added. I'm sure that the Opera programmers could have it added in a day. They wouldn't even have to make the code themselves, they could just lift it from the chromium project.

This missing feature is probably the only thing keeping me from using Opera as my primary browser.

• Sad but true. It's strange though that only Chrome is having that menu. No other browser is doing it and it makes soooo much sense nowadays!

Really hope they will add it soon. So far I'm using Opera to work and Vivaldi for my personal stuff. If Vivaldi will implement this feature I'll switch on it to work too.

• Not that I have something against easier use and creation of separate profiles, I use several profiles myself, but for the problem of multiple users on single computer there is already a solution: multiple user accounts.

• Yes open that internal chromium configuration......

• @meersau technically, yes. But I already have 4 gmail accounts. I don't want to create also 4 Opera accounts and use only one of those per gmail account, keeping in mind which I've coupled with. Too complex.
    Also, the Opera account does not include a record of the addons installed, only history and bookmarks. So, I could not have let's say one configuration to work and one for my spare time.

That Chromium/Chrome menu is a simple and yet wonderful user experience solution.
    :smiling_face_with_open_mouth_smiling_eyes:

• @pandorave said in Multiple User/Profile support:

@meersau technically, yes. But I already have 4 gmail accounts. I don't want to create also 4 Opera accounts and use only one of those per gmail account, keeping in mind which I've coupled with. Too complex.

That does not fall under multi user. For exactly such a purpose, I also use several Opera profiles, as far as the private mode is not enough.

• @rudrick said in Multiple User/Profile support:

Yes open that internal chromium configuration......

I meant for the devs to open that for users to use from get-go - not by tons of different extensions.

1_1519799056342_Cap5645A.PNG 0_1519799056342_Cap5645.PNG

• @itman Wholeheartedly agree. I think there should also be a "guest" support option, so that people who want occasional one-time browser uses could do so without conflicting with anyone else's data. It's a major feature to get Opera to really be competitive.

• Would love a feature like this. I have 3 sets of logins I use daily on almost every social media account and very much need multiple profiles/browsers to keep all of my bookmarks and logins separate from each other to avoid having to log in and out constantly and having too many bookmarks.

• @itman This is an absolute MUST for me.

• @zethnos said in Multiple User/Profile support:

Would love a feature like this. I have 3 sets of logins I use daily on almost every social media account and very much need multiple profiles/browsers to keep all of my bookmarks and logins separate from each other to avoid having to log in and out constantly and having too many bookmarks.

For cases like this, - and depending on the install, Portable Device version seems to reset Extensions, so, initially it will not work -, you can use a Password Manager with an extension for needed browsers, and TeamSync Bookmarks - CHR Extension, "Install Chrome Extensions" Extension needed - .

• Password Manager (Extension):
      It will allow you to access many DDBB from almost any device - cloud needed -, so it will no matter the profile you'll be using.

• TeamSync (Extension):
      It allows you to create Bookmarks folders and share them.
      So you can put Bookmarks in folders linked to another user/account/profile.

Windows 10 (x64) | Creators Update
    Opera Stable · Beta · Developer

Opera Test profile | Opera Reset / Back up Linux · Mac · Win