@leocg oh, nice thank you for pointing that out
Posts made by nefas-esse
- Suggestions and feature requests
RE: sync open tabs across multiple windowsSuggestions and feature requests
- What do you mean? Opened tabs are synced between Opera instances.
yes, they are reopened when you close and open opera, what i meant was when you're using multiple windows/ instances at once
- Workspaces contains windows, so each workspace will have its own tabs and windows.
workspaces are really just a set of tabs, and a windows/ instances are a set of workspaces, right?
- Why someone would want to do that? The tabs are already in a window, why move them to a different one?
If you are talking about moving the tabs to a different workspace, it can be done by right clicking on the tab and selecting move tab to workspace...
Someone would want to do that if they're multitasking with two monitors, and have one of the windows on one of them, and another window on the other one.
And when they have tabs, that they might want in another window/ instance they'd have to manually move or reopen them. this could by having all the tabs you want in your new instance in one workspace, which could then be opened in the new window/ instance, when using what i explaned
Yes, you can move tabs between different workspaces, but not between multiple windows/ instances
- Don't close windows if you want to keep using the tabs opened in them.
And Menu > History used to show recently closed windows.
I meant in the case of shutting down your system, because you go to bed or whatever, but thank you for pointing that out, i just noticed this, very cool!
- Happens already as far as I know.
it syncs opened tabs when closing and opening again, but not across multiple windows/ instances
i'll try to explain it again, maybe that will work for you to understand what i mean:
workspaces would not only be workspaces anymore, but also open windows/instances.
so when opening a new window/ instance, you can either use the tabs that you already opened in a workspace, or have the new tabs you use in that new window/ instance be in another workspace
sorry, just realized this is a kinda wierd one
sync open tabs across multiple windowsSuggestions and feature requests
- all opened tabs only affect one instance, and are not accessable in multiple instances
- workspaces only open in same window
- if you want all tabs of one workspace in another window, you need to move the tabs there one by one/ re-open them there
- when opening and closing multiple windows, only the last one closed can be restored, which is very frustrating if you just did some small stuff in a second window, have a lot of tabs open in your other window, that you want to keep, close them in the wrong order by accident, and it restores the small thing you did but not the more important tabs
open tabs (in their belonging workspaces) get synced across windows/ instances
explanation/ possible approach:
Practically speaking, you will have a "main database" in which all action will occur, and that will have all open tabs (in their belonging workspaces).
Every open window will just be a way to view the tabs in that "main database". If a new tab gets opened, it will be opened open in the "main database" (in their belonging workspace).
It will get synced along all windows, because every window accesses the same "database".
A window wouldn't be a new instance with a new "database", but just a way to look at the "main database".
If you want a clear window with no open tabs, you just create another workspace.
Currently, you set a fixed number of workspaces beforehand.
With the new way of working with open tabs, there could also be a new way to work with workspaces. Specifically, there could be two types of workspaces. The ones that stay there, no matter if they're empty or not, and that can be configured beforehand (Just like it is now).
A way to quickly get a blank window would be to open up a new, blank, and temporary workspace in a new window. This temporary workspace stay's open as long as you have opened tabs in them, but automatically get deleted, if all tabs are closed/ moved to other workspaces.
It could also be "saved" as permanent workspace, if the user wishes to.
pressing ctrl while clicking on a workspace would just be the modifier to open that workspace in a new window. If theres already a window opened with that workspace open, that is not the one that you're clicking from, it could focus on that window. If you Ctrl + click on the workspace you're currently on in the window that you're currently focused on, it would just open up the same workspace in another window.
When normally clicking (without ctrl) it would work like it does right now (just switching in the same window)
i hope this was understandable, I'd love to see this feature