Opera 136+ crashes on launch with "Illegal instruction (core dumped)"
-
Echo991 last edited by
It's my first post but, seems i need to tell my problem:
Linux distribution and version:
Linux Mint 22.3 Zena (Cinnamon), 64-bit (based on Ubuntu 24.04 Noble)Opera version:
Crashing version: 136.0.6008.80 (and presumably all newer versions)
Working version: 135.0.5973.76Opera 136.0.6008.80 fails to launch entirely. Upon executing the opera command in the terminal, the browser crashes immediately with an Illegal instruction (core dumped) or Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped) error.
~$ opera
[0930/154128.552733:ERROR:third_party/crashpad/crashpad/util/file/directory_reader_posix.cc:43] opendir /home/rifu0475/.config/opera/Crash Reports/attachments/55c98994-a171-4f37-9b4d-65c230c6f5d4: No such file or directory (2)
[0930/154131.187577:ERROR:third_party/crashpad/crashpad/snapshot/elf/elf_dynamic_array_reader.h:64] tag not found
[0930/154131.188509:ERROR:third_party/crashpad/crashpad/snapshot/elf/elf_dynamic_array_reader.h:64] tag not found
libva error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so init failed
[8137:8137:0930/154135.206233:ERROR:chrome/browser/process_singleton_posix.cc:238] read() failed: Connection reset by peer (104)
[7981:7987:0930/154135.207057:ERROR:net/socket/ssl_client_socket_impl.cc:962] handshake failed; returned -1, SSL error code 1, net_error -3
[7981:7987:0930/154135.217488:ERROR:net/socket/ssl_client_socket_impl.cc:962] handshake failed; returned -1, SSL error code 1, net_error -3
[7981:7987:0930/154135.217694:ERROR:net/socket/ssl_client_socket_impl.cc:962] handshake failed; returned -1, SSL error code 1, net_error -3
Illegal instruction (core dumped)~$ libva error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so init failed
[8137:8137:0930/154136.104553:ERROR:extensions/browser/service_worker/service_worker_task_queue.cc:482] DidStartWorkerFail enegjkbbakeegngfapepobipndnebkdk: 5
[0930/154136.270842:ERROR:third_party/crashpad/crashpad/snapshot/elf/elf_dynamic_array_reader.h:64] tag not found
[0930/154136.271849:ERROR:third_party/crashpad/crashpad/snapshot/elf/elf_dynamic_array_reader.h:64] tag not found
[8337:8337:0930/154139.052881:ERROR:chrome/browser/process_singleton_posix.cc:238] read() failed: Connection reset by peer (104)
[8188:8188:0100/000000.053040:ERROR:mojo/core/broker_posix.cc:41] Recvmsg error: Connection reset by peer (104)Did this happen because of an AVX2 compatibility issue? Right now I'm using Opera GX, and the newest version works fine. If this happened because of a compatibility issue, I might consider using Opera GX, but I don't know if Opera GX will eventually require AVX2 as well.
-
burnout426 Volunteer last edited by
As a test, does Opera start it fine with a test profile?:
opera --user-data-dir=~/Desktop/operatestWhat about with?:
opera --disable-gpuAre you using the regular deb package (it looks like it) or the flatpak package or the snap package?
Are you starting Opera with any other command-line arguments?
Do you get the same issue with Chromium 152.0.7977.134 or newer?
-
Echo991 last edited by Echo991
@burnout426 Thanks for the reply!
I ran opera
--user-data-dir=~/Desktop/operatest
it worked perfectly. This confirmed the issue was inside my old profile at
~/.config/opera.Yes, I'm using the .deb file from the official website.
No, I don't use any other command-line arguments. I only run it via the terminal to test and see the logs.
I actually updated Chromium, but it didn't solve the problem.
I also tested Chromium 153.0.8010.52 from the Linux Mint repositories, and it launches perfectly fine without any "Illegal instruction" errors.
Since the test profile worked, I moved my old profile to a backup (mv ~/.config/opera ~/.config/opera_backup) and launched Opera normally.
To be fair, I solved my problem, but I can't easily explain how to fix it to my coworkers since they don't know anything about the terminal. They can try the GUI method instead, though I'm not really good at explaining this stuff.