Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

Can't play facebook videos or GIFS in Opera w/Linux Mint

• Try removing chromium ffmpeg codecs and then check how good or bad vivaldi can perform on h264 content. I am 110% sure, like opera, it won't play a thing. And no idea why it works with newer versions of it 😞

I would do the above for you, but I do not use ubuntu, thus no chromium ffmpeg codecs at all, and I do not use electron based crap like vivaldi (or skypeforlinux, vs code, atom etc).

On the other hand, how hard can it be for someone to make a small script that (in this specific order)

• checks the installed version of opera
    • "calculates" the proper chromium version it is based on
    • downloads the correct chromium ffmpeg codecs package from that ubuntu ppa
    • extracts the libffmpeg from it
    • places it in the directory opera's libffmpeg is, replacing the original one

I do not do scripting, I am bad at it, but I am sure someone can do it. And the same thing for widevine, except it would download google chrome...

• May I have your attention please?

Chromium 69 was released yesterday =>
    it will soon be on the repos of all major distros =>
    (for ubuntu users) chromium ffmpeg codecs will be upgraded =>
    opera's html5 support will break =>
    whining users will flood the forum again.

So brace yourselves 😛

For the rest of us, the debian/mageia/arch/fedora/opensuse/whatever users, the html5 support will remain incomplete as usual.

Have a nice day 🙂

• @jimunderscorep thannks for the info but how can i get the latest chromium ffmpeg codecs? please help

• Im having the same issues, along with Dailymotion videos not working at all "Try updating your browser, or use a different one".
    Also, Nicotine is not working properly. It says theres an error due to Upnp support.
    This all came about when I updated to Linux Mint 19. So far, no help from the Update Manager.

• Good news everyone!
    Opera 56 reached stable, so it should work with chromium ffmpeg codecs 69, so please do your upgrades and may the "broken html5/h264 support" whining stop for September.
    Thank you 🙂

• Here's answer why OPERA don't play videos.
    0_1538250996625_Opera Snapshot_2018-09-29_204547_blogs.opera.com.png

• I solved the problem by updating my opera. My current version is 56.0.3051.43. If anyone has the same issue then go to https://www.opera.com/browser download the latest version(.deb) install it.

• Hey, it's that time of the month again!
    You know, the one that chromium gets updated from upstream, and a few days later distro's upgrade their chromium related packages.
    After that, ubuntu users flood the forum whining that opera is broken again.

Please be patient 😛

• any update on this?
    It kind suck 😞

• Since nothing has changed, either on opera's side (support for more proprietary codecs) or on the sites' side (support of a different or open format, eg webm), things remain the same.
    In fact, I think it would be reasonable to say you should not expect a change in the years to come.

• Download one of these:
    https://github.com/iteufel/nwjs-ffmpeg-prebuilt/releases
    And put it into /usr/lib64/opera
    Overwrite if if there's the same file already

• I have fixed the issue in my Arch Linux by installing opera-ffmpeg-codecs. I hope this helps to others.

• This post is deleted!
  • This post is deleted!
  • tihs happened to me and i codunt find any solution for opera .so i uninstalled opera and installed opera -beta or opera developer version instead ..both works properly without any problems playing all videos..

• @toof Thanks a lot, your solution works perfectly and you saved my time!

• @toof On Ubuntu the path is /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera/

• @toof This also fixed my issue after literally trying everything else and spending days trying to fix this. Thank you OP!

• I've created script to automate a bit this thing, which @toof mentioned. It's written for Ubuntu and specific version to be downloaded but you can reassign the values as you need.

#!/bin/bash

zip_name=0.35.4-linux-x64.zip
    dir_to_unzip=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera

cd /tmp
    wget https://github.com/iteufel/nwjs-ffmpeg-prebuilt/releases/download/0.35.4/$zip_name -q --show-progress

sudo unzip -o $zip_name -d $dir_to_unzip

rm $zip_name

• @damianw345
    Sorry but I couldn't find the edit comment option.

I've updated the script to always download latest version.

#!/bin/bash

latest_version_url=$(curl https://github.com/iteufel/nwjs-ffmpeg-prebuilt/releases/latest -s -L -I -o /dev/null -w '%{url_effective}')
    latest_version=${latest_version_url##*/}

zip_name="$latest_version-linux-x64.zip"

dir_to_unzip=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera

cd /tmp 
    wget https://github.com/iteufel/nwjs-ffmpeg-prebuilt/releases/download/$latest_version/$zip_name -q --show-progress

sudo unzip -o $zip_name -d $dir_to_unzip

rm $zip_name