Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

How to install, and run the Opera 20 for Windows, under Linux box, using the Wine app.

• I followed your directions on kubuntu 14.04 using wine1.7.14 but there is no window, but "welcome to opera" window bar is shown

• One important correction (forgot to mention, please excuse me) - you need to copy also three files from main installation dir: go to the installation root (mentioned in step 1), and copy the "installation_status.xml", installer_prefs.json", and "launcher.exe", to the "opera20usb" on your usb drive, and then copy these files to the "...Program Files/opera20usb" (mentioned in step 3) in the Wine user profile directory on your Linux box.

• Next notice: you can update the Opera 20 to the latest build 20.0.1387.77, which includes few important fixes.

• there is no window, but "welcome to opera" window bar is shown
    Hi Ukbeast, I think, that I know, what can cause the issue in your case: lack of one or two, preconfigured sections in the "Preferences" file, which should include lines as below:

{
       "browser": {
          "window_placement": {
             "height": 327,
             "left": 46,
             "maximized": true,
             "top": 28,
             "width": 761
          }
       },
       "session": {
          "restore_on_startup": 5
       }
    }

In addition, if one answered the question about statistics, then the file should include also the "statistics" section, as below:

{
       "browser": {
          "window_placement": {
             "height": 327,
             "left": 46,
             "maximized": true,
             "top": 28,
             "width": 761
          }
       },
       "session": {
          "restore_on_startup": 5
       },
       "statistics": {
          "collection_asked": true,
          "collection_enabled": false
       }
    }

I hope, that this will help to solve the problem 😉

• One correction of the mistake in the launch script, please replace the line:

cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/opera20usb"

with this:

cd ~/".wine/drive_c/Program Files/opera20usb"

or with this - it also works:

cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/opera20usb

• Thanks mate 😃
    My findings:

1. flash works but is slow due to no hardware acceleration (intel b820 integrated GPU)
    2. Divx web plugin does not work
    3. fonts are rough
      4 HTML5 youtube full-screen does not work.
  • You're welcome 😃

Additional progress: regarding the GPU hardware acceleration, and the problem with a black screen.

Try to remove the "--disable-gpu" switch in the launch script, and replace it with "--disable-gpu-compositing". After this change, the Opera should work also well, and even better for most GPUs.

Launch the Opera, go to the address bar, and type "opera:gpu", and press enter. Here, on my Linux box, the statuses for almost all graphics functions are in green 😉

• I think it's easier to use a VM. Microsoft offers images on http://modern.ie

• Hi Frenzie, nice to see you also here 😉

Yep, I already installed several instances of the virtual machines (e.g. VMware Player, Oracle VM VirtualBox), I have all of the Opera's streams installed there, and I'm experimenting with them from time to time, nevertheless I thought, that I can also try, a bit more native Linux solution, and a little more close to the Open Source like Wine, instead to use licensed M$ software 😉

• Great guide, thank you. But https does not work. You can solve this problem?

• Hi, you're welcome 😉 Which version of Wine? Here it works without problem, for example encrypted google, opens without issues.

• Hi l33t4opera,

Opera
    Version: 20.0.1387.91
    Update stream: Stable
    System: Windows XP 32-bit
    Browser identification
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/33.0.1750.154 Safari/537.36 OPR/20.0.1387.91

Wine 1.6.1

• just tried another version of wine (1.7.17), it's works!, thanks!

• I'm glad, that you made it, congrats 😉