New Opera Forums launching soon!
Discussion thread

Opera 43 doesn't remember window size and position anymore.

frankqn
frankqn

8 posts

Hello,

on Ubuntu (Unity), elementary OS (Gala), KDEneon (Plasma) Opera 43 doesn't remember window size and position anymore.

Steps to reproduce: set startup behavior to other than continue, move and resize Opera's window, close Opera, start Opera. Window settings will be lost.

Opera 43 doesn't store window settings in ~/.config/Opera/Preferences anymore.

13 Replies - 912 Views

freep69
    0 0
    freep69

1 posts

Same here in Lubuntu 16.04

frankqn
      0 0
      frankqn

8 posts

Same with versions 44 and 45 dev.

isiku64
        0 0
        isiku64

1 posts

Same here on version 44, amd64 Ubuntu. I have 2 Ubuntu installations on different computers. One is good. Comparing Preferences file with the good and bad one, in "browser tag" the following settings are missing:

"windowplacement":{"height":1028,"left":65,"maximized":false,"top":52,"width":1169},"windowplacementvideopopout":{"height":200,"left":810,"maximized":false,"top":440,"width":355}},

Values are for non-maximized left-top-bottom aligned window.

frankqn
          0 0
          frankqn

8 posts

Same on version 46 dev.

ttinny123
            0 0
            ttinny123

4 posts

same on opera 44.0.2510.1449 on Linux Mint 18.1. window opens half size when fresh starting opera. i Have to maximize window everytime i restart opera.

frankqn
              0 0
              frankqn

8 posts

Same on Opera 45.0.2552.635.

karl8128
                0 0
                karl8128

1 posts

have had the same problem - in all versions since opera 38 - only way i can get the browser to start in the size that fits my screen is by uninstalling opera then install an older version ie 38 then position the window where i want it then upgrade to latest version ie 45 this is really a pain as i love this browser - do opera actually take any notice of these posts ??????

g0rr4
                  0 0
                  g0rr4

1 posts

Same on 45.0.2552.812 | Stable | Manjaro Linux (x86_64; XFCE)

zhochaka
                    0 0
                    zhochaka

3 posts

Still happening with Opera 46.0.2597.32 on Linux Mint 18.1 (x86_64; XFCE)

And some of the fixes that Google turns up are horribly old and don't work any more. What does it take to get Developers to notice you? It's getting to be the same all over the net, and I don't have a van de Graaf generator to attach.

dalatkid17
                      0 0
                      dalatkid17

4 posts

frankqn
                        0 0
                        frankqn

8 posts

Thanks, dalatkid17, but to start Opera maximized ist not the suggestion to my problem. Opera doesn't remember it's size and position in windowed mode.

At last I will check upcoming version 47, otherwise i will switch to Vivaldi.

zhochaka
                          0 0
                          zhochaka

3 posts

dalatkid17, I couldn't get that fix to work. Instead, I had to modify the command in the Launcher.

[Deleted User]
                            1 0
                            [Deleted User]

0 posts

I've recently returned to using Opera after many years and was very surprised to find this issue.

I'm currently using v46, 47 and 48 (stable, beta and development) and all show the same problem in that the window size and position when Opera is closed are not remembered when Opera is restarted. This is a basic requirement for any GUI application. Starting applications with their windows maximised is not always wanted.

I've submitted a bug report but I doubt that much will happen after so many releases seem to have exhibited this issue. It makes me think that the developers are more interested in introducing new features rather than restoring basic functionality that has over time been lost.

For what it's worth I'm using Opera on Xubuntu 16.,04, 17.04 and 17.10.