Opera browser does not play twitter videos and gifs again

• I resolved the problem by installing the Vivaldi browser.

• I still use Ubuntu32bit so cannot install Vivaldi or change the libffmpeg.so file because I have /usr/lib/chromium-browser/libffmpegsumo.so.
    If I uninstall Opera 43 & roll back to opera 42.0.2393.517 by downloading again will I lose all my settings etc which are preserved during regular updates? If so I can wait until the next update if Opera fixes this issue.

• "will I lose all my settings etc"

No.

But be safe and backup "/home/rudi/.config/opera"(replace rudi with your directory) then in the event of a mishap simply replace that directory with your backup.

• PS
    I should have mentioned that is the profile directory and the path can be found at Menu|About Opera.

• Tried the method posted by @in-tensive above but no luck.

But finally got it working. For Opera 43.0.2442.806 on Ubuntu Xenial 16.04 I had to:

• Download the package opera-ffmpeg-codecs-56.0.2924.76-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz from https://repo.herecura.eu/herecura/x86_64
    • Extract the libffmpeg.so file
    • Then move it to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera/libffmpeg.so. Had to use "sudo"

Do NOT put it inside "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera/lib_extra".

Seriously, I don't know why tf the directory changed again in this release or why Opera for Linux has to be so f* complicated.

• Hi! Here is solution for Opera 43. (Kubuntu 16.04 x64)

1. We need to update Chromium browser to 56.0.2924.76 version (Opera 43 use this version of Chrome engine)
    2. Add repository - sudo add-apt-repository ppa:canonical-chromium-builds/stage
    3. Update system - sudo apt update
    4. Chromium must updated to 56 version
    5. As recently as advised tyrion-ua:
      Copy the libffmpeg.so file from the library (/usr/lib/chromium-browser)
      Replace the libffmpeg.so file in the browser folder (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera) with this file.
      Restart the browser.
      Now Opera plays videos from Twitter, Instagram, etc.

Thank you in-tensive. After a little hokey pokey I got this to work. Thank you for helping me learn a little more about Linux and how to fix this very annoying bug.

• Thank you in-tensive. After a little hokey pokey I got this to work. Thank you for helping me learn a little more about Linux and how to fix this very annoying bug.

Not at all, kpsaver.
    I am a fan of Opera Browser and happy to help you.
    Despite some of the problems of our beloved web-browser ;)))))

• sudo add-apt-repository ppa:canonical-chromium-builds/stage
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra

It's working. There is no need to move any files

• Problem solved. Thanks @adasiko

• I am finding in Facebook animated gifs (and I think some videos) are not working.

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.