New Opera Forums launching soon!
Discussion thread

Sync with mobile with passphrase

blaisorblade
blaisorblade

2 posts

Hi, I've created an Opera account to sync across OS X and two Android devices. On OS X, I chose to encrypt all synchronized data with a master passphrase. But I can't tell the passphrase to Opera on Android. That's not discussed by instructions on http://www.opera.com/help/account, and I found no way by playing around in the interface or searching these forums.

For now, I'm resetting synchronization and disabling it for passwords—encrypting passwords only by a password that Opera has is not robust enough—even if I trust Opera's honesty, that's no guarantee if Opera's DB is hacked.

14 Replies - 483 Views

leocg
    1 0
    leocg

13265 posts

• 10000 posts

Opera for Android doesn't support the pass-phrase.

my1xt
    1 0
    my1xt

18 posts

would be kinda helpful if the would be actually written somewhere instead of the sync just doing nothing.

and it would be awesome if this would be a plan for the future.

blaisorblade
      0 0
      blaisorblade

2 posts

I also just learned that Android Opera does not sync passwords anyway. At least that's mentioned in http://www.opera.com/help/account#sync.

For extra fun, I've tried multiple times to reset synchronization. The account seems to be cleared, but it's repopulated even though I don't tell Opera to log in. When I do login, I invariably get asked my password. So I can't switch back to syncing without a passphrase.

Guess I'm creating a new account—if that fails I might have to sadly give up on Opera.

leocg
        0 0
        leocg

13265 posts

• 10000 posts

For extra fun, I've tried multiple times to reset synchronization. The account seems to be cleared, but it's repopulated even though I don't tell Opera to log in.

Are you logged of from all of your Opera's installations?

When I do login, I invariably get asked my password. So I can't switch back to syncing without a passphrase.

Did you change to the option to not use a pass-phrase?

my1xt
        0 0
        my1xt

18 posts

@leocg will sync with passphrase be a feature in the future?

and why doesnt opera do that yet, I mean it should be a lot more secure and stuff?

leocg
          0 0
          leocg

13265 posts

• 10000 posts

will sync with passphrase be a feature in the future?

Only someone from Opera can answer that.

and why doesnt opera do that yet, I mean it should be a lot more secure and stuff?

In the beginning, the pass-phrase only worked for passwords and Opera for mobile devices doesn't sync passwords. So adding support for pass-phrase didn't make much sense.

my1xt
          0 0
          my1xt

18 posts

so you are not from opera? okay. didnt know, I thought mod = someone from opera.

but okay that in the early days it might not have been needed but ever since passphases do everything it should be important to add it imo, dunno since when that is though

leocg
            0 0
            leocg

13265 posts

• 10000 posts

so you are not from opera?

Nope. This forum is mainly for users to help each other although people from Opera may pass by eventually.

my1xt
            0 0
            my1xt

18 posts

is there a way to contacce them directly about this?

rokis17
              0 0
              rokis17

7 posts

Same problem here. Set a passphrase and since then sync on android does not work. Ok, so it's not supported (yet.. I hope) but why is there no "disable passphrase altogether" option? Or change it? I mean, that's standard when it comes to dealing with passwords and such.

leocg
                0 0
                leocg

13265 posts

• 10000 posts

Ok, so it's not supported (yet.. I hope) but why is there no "disable passphrase altogether" option?

The use of a passphrase is not enabled by default. And if you go to sync settings in Opera for desktops you can enable or disable it.

yomy98
                0 0
                yomy98

1 posts

where change pas-phrase, if I forgot of pass-phrase??

leocg
                  0 0
                  leocg

13265 posts

• 10000 posts

where change pas-phrase, if I forgot of pass-phrase??

It's not relate to this topic. Anyway, just go to https://sync.opera.com/web/ and reset your synced data.

Then go to sync settings and change the pass-phrase.

gorditogr
                  0 0
                  gorditogr

4 posts

I would totally love to sync my passwords to mobile, its the only thing that keeps me from totally migrating to Opera.