New Opera Forums launching soon!
Discussion thread

The media could not be played

drifter
drifter

17 posts

That is message I get every time I try to play embed videos such as Twitter videos or Dailymotion videos, even gifs. It wasn't happening until last update. I am using Windows 10 64-bit and latest Opera 64-bit. I have installed latest Flash player and AC3 Filter. For playing any video format I use MPC-HC 64-bit, so I don't intend to install bunch of codecs without any reason.

So why this latest Opera version can't play embed videos?

8 Replies - 148 Views

sgunhouse
    0 0
    sgunhouse

3871 posts

• Server monkey
    • 2000 posts

Whe you say latest, is that Stable, Beta or Developer?

leocg
    0 0
    leocg

13247 posts

• 10000 posts

Twitter doesn't use Flash so I guess the issue is not related to it.

Opera should be able to play (almost) any codec that your OS can play natively.

opera://media-internals/ may give you a clue of what is preventing the video to play.

drifter
    0 0
    drifter

17 posts

It is latest Opera stable. Instagram videos also not playing.

This is last log after instagram video failed to load: http://i.imgur.com/SFxbmRU.jpg

leocg
      0 0
      leocg

13247 posts

• 10000 posts

What version of Windows 10? Can you play the file on Windows Media Player?

drifter
      0 0
      drifter

17 posts

Enterprise. I can play file in MPC-HC 64-bit, I don't use WMP, I have it removed.

leocg
        0 0
        leocg

13247 posts

• 10000 posts

I can play file in MPC-HC 64-bit

MPC has its own codecs so can't be used for the test.

drifter
        0 0
        drifter

17 posts

So you want to say Opera uses WMP codecs and if I have WMP removed it can't play videos? If that is correct then Opera is a joke and I will go back on Firefox.

leocg
          0 0
          leocg

13247 posts

• 10000 posts

So you want to say Opera uses WMP codecs and if I have WMP removed it can't play videos?

I want to say what I said before: Opera can only play the codecs that Windows can play natively. If removing WMO also removes those codecs then yes, Opera will not be able to play videos that use those codecs.

f that is correct then Opera is a joke

It's a legal (and economic) issue. Many of those codecs require a license that may be very expensive.