New Opera Forums launching soon!
Discussion thread

Opera for Android 42

jonaballen
jonaballen

28 posts

• Opera employee
  • Server monkey

Hi everyone We have just released Opera 42 in our beta channel.

The update includes: - Chromium update to 55 - Top News category (for US and Indonesia) - Videos in the news feed (for Indonesia) - Bug fixes

The update was pushed to Google Play yesterday and it should be available to 100% of all beta users within a few hours. Please download Opera 42 beta for Android and leave us your feedback. We hope you like it!

(Update Jan 24: Opera 42 is now released in both final and beta products)

100 Replies - 5072 Views

mrninko
1 0
mrninko

246 posts

Still missing easy/quick access to on/off data saving!!!

mrninko
    0 0
    mrninko

246 posts

Also still not fixed issue with red opera search bar in speed-dial. If you "hide" it by swiping up, when returning to speed-dial dial after closing opened card it appears again. It is sooo annoying!! Wanna "fullscreen" speed-dial, not with opera logo...

personal1985
      0 0
      personal1985

24 posts

• Server monkey

Used Opera Beta 42 a few hours on Galaxy Note 10.1 (N8000) and Galaxy Note 2 (N7100). Still stutters like playing a game with short excessive frame rate drops.

In this case the game is scrolling whatever webpage from simple pages to complex ones.

I cannot use this except for beta testing. For daily use I still use the in September 2016 released standard Opera. I already mentioned it started with the UI overhaul despite the same Blink/Chromium engine, only the overhaul has changed something very important.

I update apps 1 by 1 in the Google Play store since otherwise I have to put back a backup :-(

Sad.

I'm unwilling to buy a new tablet and phone for Opera purpose only. As verification I used the latest Chrome with the latest Blink/Chromium engine and it works perfectly.

I don't like Chrome from Google, for example Chrome its user interface.

Also I would like the BOOKMARK icon back on the speed dial home page.

uzmazareen
      0 0
      uzmazareen

21 posts

ad blocker still not working

uzmazareen
        1 0
        uzmazareen

21 posts

I have suggestion that you add a data saver button next to exit button and when you click on that button data saver setting appear also you can add data saver counter like opera mini

jonaballen
          0 0
          jonaballen

28 posts

• Opera employee
          • Server monkey

We have now released Opera 42 on main channel.

mrninko
          1 0
          mrninko

246 posts

Using latest Opera beta for Android there's endless loading loop on opera's forum page, cannot login, cannot use at all see in video https://youtu.be/8lxmYnDCr_k Have to write this post using different browser. Fix soon?

personal1985
            0 0
            personal1985

24 posts

• Server monkey

Using latest Opera beta for Android there's endless loading loop on opera's forum page, cannot login, cannot use at all see in video https://youtu.be/8lxmYnDCr_k Have to write this post using different browser. Fix soon?

Opera Stable 42 does no longer play any H264 or VP9 video anymore.

I urge the Opera team to blacklist Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 and Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 on Google Play and only allow these devices upto Opera 37.0.2 the last version before the overhaul. Reason, the new user interface is to demanding and every website stutters. I always have to revert back to Opera 37.0.2 since later versions behave as described and programmers at Opera perhaps forgot efficient programming. As long as Opera sync is allowed for Opera 37 on my devices I will use Opera. After that unfortunately Google Chrome ironically using 1 version higher as render engine is my only option left. Since Google Chrome doesn't stutter despite the latest shared render engine I regret to inform Opera programmers 'Your code is to demanding and far from optimal as an understatement. You have chosen like Microsoft does for rapid development instead of efficiency which is masked by people not knowing any better.' The law of Microsoft is 'The faster hardware becomes the slower our code is because rapid development is compensated by faster hardware so no one will notice'.

Please blacklist mentioned devices. It harms Opera if they see your latest release. Especially compared to Google Chrome.

mrninko
            0 0
            mrninko

246 posts

After deleting data, cache, cookies from browser's settings opera's forum worked fine but only one day. Today issue repeats. But if I open private browsing it's working fine there

mrninko
              0 0
              mrninko

246 posts

glitch in opera: menu-settings-home page (in news section) there're black spots. sketch-1485354508939

jonaballen
                0 0
                jonaballen

28 posts

• Opera employee
                • Server monkey

The string for the setting is too long so it requires 2 rows, the second row doesn't really show except the top: Thats why it looks like spots. We should shorten the string or alternatively truncate it.

uzmazareen
                0 0
                uzmazareen

21 posts

ad blocker still not working

no answer?

jonaballen
                  0 0
                  jonaballen

28 posts

• Opera employee
                  • Server monkey

Re:adblock

Our adblocker is based on easylist (same used by ad-block pro) and should block the same as adblock browser or the adblock pro extension.

However, for the adblocker to work properly in OfA you need to enable data savings and the adblocker feature in Settings.

There are some cases when you would still get ads.

• Some ad providers are whitelisted
                  • if you have loaded a page without data savings enabled there is a chance that the ad content has been cached and if so, it will display.
                  • If the content is stored on secured servers (https) we do not compress or block it due to security reasons since compression and blocking is done serverside (on turbo proxy).
                  • Furthermore, publishers (websites who display ads) find new ways to display their ads to the users. Since its the only way for them to make money like sending the masked URLs to trick AdBlock List components or create new sites that is not in easy list.
                  mrninko
                  0 0
                  mrninko

246 posts

The string for the setting is too long so it requires 2 rows, the second row doesn't really show except the top: Thats why it looks like spots. We should shorten the string or alternatively truncate it.

And what about glitch with loading loop of opera's forum pages(posted here earlier)

sgunhouse
                    0 0
                    sgunhouse

3867 posts

• Server monkey
                    • 2000 posts

Not related, happens in Windows too and in other browsers. Clear your cookies for opera.com then log in.

uzmazareen
                    0 0
                    uzmazareen

21 posts

Re:adblock Our adblocker is based on easylist (same used by ad-block pro) and should block the same as adblock browser or the adblock pro extension. However, for the adblocker to work properly in OfA you need to enable data savings and the adblocker feature in Settings. There are some cases when you would still get ads.

Some ad providers are whitelisted if you have loaded a page without data savings enabled there is a chance that the ad content has been cached and if so, it will display. If the content is stored on secured servers (https) we do not compress or block it due to security reasons since compression and blocking is done serverside (on turbo proxy). Furthermore, publishers (websites who display ads) find new ways to display their ads to the users. Since its the only way for them to make money like sending the masked URLs to trick AdBlock List components or create new sites that is not in easy list.

ok thanks

mrninko
                      0 0
                      mrninko

246 posts

Not related, happens in Windows too and in other browsers. Clear your cookies for opera.com then log in.

:-D clear cookies :-D I have to do that every time I wanna visit opera forum. It's nonsense

mrninko
                        0 0
                        mrninko

246 posts

Also: Replicable issue with saved pages: - If you mark SOME saved pages then delete them then click to system back button and then on speed-dial page click to restore those deleted saved pages app crashes! (If you mark all saved pages this is not happening. It's also not happening if you perform restoration of SOME/ALL deleted saved pages in saved pages card.) See in video: https://youtu.be/ue9OIiszbd4

uzmazareen
                          0 0
                          uzmazareen

21 posts

Do you have planned to add new features in opera for android ?

emniss
                            0 0
                            Console

35 posts

Re:adblock There are some cases when you would still get ads.

Some ad providers are whitelisted if you have loaded a page without data savings enabled there is a chance that the ad content has been cached and if so, it will display. If the content is stored on secured servers (https) we do not compress or block it due to security reasons since compression and blocking is done serverside (on turbo proxy). Furthermore, publishers (websites who display ads) find new ways to display their ads to the users. Since its the only way for them to make money like sending the masked URLs to trick AdBlock List components or create new sites that is not in easy list.

I get ads with Opera for Android which are blocked with Opera mini on the same websites. Data savings / ad blocking is enabled, cache is cleared. Any ideas?

use141
                              0 0
                              use141

4 posts

To-Mr-Jona- ad blocker is not working it is not working since New Opera introduced with new UI, please fix this you people are telling reasons but we people need no reasons but perfect Browser I am using data saving mod and clear cache enabled ad blocker and I have done everything to get rid of this adds but they are showing up anyway almost In All websites the truth is adblocker is not working fix this. Opera is great Browser please don't make this worst .old Opera is good and works perfect but New Opera is all of bugs and not working perfectly. new UI (everyone hating)..

curledupwithdakka
                                0 0
                                curledupwithdakka

2 posts

For Opera 42.3.xxxx on an LG LTE:

When using the cliptray to cut/copy-&-paste, the Opera winndow shortens and the now empty area at the top becomes a black "bar". Getting the window back to use the entire screen takes closing and reopening Opera.

uzmazareen
                                  0 0
                                  uzmazareen

21 posts

please add an option to use reader mode on other sites too instead of feed news sites

mrninko
                                    0 0
                                    mrninko

246 posts

New loading page is really cool.

xirit32
                                      0 0
                                      xirit32

153 posts

Hmm, hasn't updated yet. Is the data savings switch more accessible now as it's shown in the pictures?

leocg
                                        0 0
                                        leocg

13233 posts

• 10000 posts

It's like in Opera Mini.

leocg
                                        0 0
                                        leocg

13233 posts

• 10000 posts

. Is the data savings switch more accessible now as it's shown in the pictures?

I didn't notice any difference.

mrninko
                                        0 0
                                        mrninko

246 posts

With latest releases I'm no longer able to download videos from pages from which it was possible. So, what have you done with it??

mrninko
                                          0 0
                                          mrninko

246 posts

And when will you fix it? After updates it's still the same..

luzandro
                                            0 0
                                            luzandro

9 posts

Finally the new tab / home behavior is reasonable again!

Hmm, hasn't updated yet. Is the data savings switch more accessible now as it's shown in the pictures?

No, it isn't shown and it's still buried deep in the settings, so that you use it always or more likely never. I've also tried the beta version again and while the play store pictures show saved data and an accessible switch, that's just still the OLD version, so if you please could undo the other changes of this UI change, we could have a great browser again. I think the only thing that got better with the new UI is the new sharing dialog (bonus points for adding Direct Share)

mrninko
                                              0 0
                                              mrninko

246 posts

In latest 42.5.2246 versio: There's permanent crash after start watching video in fullscreen mode. Also after crash you can see degradation of Opera look. Video: https://youtu.be/GzHxusc2yTE

fredrikseglem
                                                1 0
                                                fredrikseglem

1 posts

I'm having trouble finding out where I choose where to save downloads. I remember it was possible to download to SD card before at least

twozero3
                                                  0 0
                                                  twozero3

47 posts

• Server monkey

A somewhat trivial one...

Please get rid of the utterly pointless pulsing speed dial animation that gets in the way before loading a page from a speed dial.

Animations are for simpletons!

john2000john
                                                  1 0
                                                  john2000john

2 posts

The last version 42.6.2246.114522 does not open the main page of the WiFi router Asus RT-N65U. After entering the login and password, a blank page opens. If you restart Opera and try again to open the address of the router, the page is opened without authorization. Tried on the Samsung Galaxy A3 (android 5.0.2), Samsung Galaxy Tab3 (android 4.4.2), XiaomaMi5 (android 6.0.1)

personal1985
                                                    0 0
                                                    personal1985

24 posts

• Server monkey

Opera programmers can fix it, it started by redisgning of the User Interaction interface.

This is the last stutter free Opera from Opera itself. Version 3700

Verify that it's really Opera server don't install from other sources.

If Opera programmers would use that version as a start all over again point the new overhaul is the only thing to change and errors made or inefficient subroutines can be prevented.

I think the overhaul is mostly done in Dalvik/Art but even then sliding effect of bringing a menu in the screen should not bring my phone or tablet to its knees.

The core render engine is great and is I believe written in Native Development Kit.

That's why I define the Opera browser as 2 seperated programming paradigmas.

I continued using Opera 3700 and don't update the normal version, but every beta release I hope Opera has finally understood what they are missing compared to what Opera had.

Speculation is that Opera has a new development team with not enough experience in User Interaction Interfaces bridged to Native Development Code like the Blink engine core.

The current team is probably so used to microstutter and old Windows 98 animation effects they don't know any better anymore.

I turn into Steve Jobs when I am hungry.

Steve Jobs wouldn't have allowed this and would be very angry. I read Steve Jobs book and he was in language a vulgair man like Mozart but his products were not. Steve Jobs is no longer and me spitting out some language like him wouldn't change Opera development since I have no power and am a customer only.

Sorry, Opera Team you don't know any better anymore, you're used to slow, buggy, and stutter even on high end devices so much.

I turn into Steve Jobs when I am hungry and want to scream! #*#$^&/&^

mrninko
                                                    0 0
                                                    mrninko

246 posts

Any plans with data saving feature finally?!?!

nebazmc
                                                      0 0
                                                      nebazmc

4 posts

html datalist is not supported!

josslupo
                                                        0 0
                                                        Earth

2 posts

How to unlink marking in pages with numbers in opera :|

karloson67
                                                          1 0
                                                          karloson67

3 posts

When adblock will work without data saving mode enabled? It's block almost nothing. And more - if I don'want to use data saving, I also can't use adblock. I also don't like exit option - I must tap 3 times on 3 buttons for exit and this is stupid!

mrninko
                                                            1 0
                                                            mrninko

246 posts

Something new soon? It's over month without update...

twozero3
                                                              1 0
                                                              twozero3

47 posts

• Server monkey

... and when the next update comes along, please make it a thorough and complete reversal of all the current UI disasters.

garillazz
                                                              1 0
                                                              garillazz

3 posts

I deleted the bookmarks from my account. How to recover them?

leocg
                                                                0 0
                                                                leocg

13233 posts

• 10000 posts

How to recover them?

Using a backup?

mrninko
                                                                1 0
                                                                mrninko

246 posts

Any plans to do FINALLY something with DATA SAVING MANAGEMENT??

mrpegasus
                                                                  0 0
                                                                  mrpegasus

3 posts

Hi guys not very technically minded so go easy on me please.Have a Samsung Galaxy Ace using Opera Mini 4.2 I think and using Sky as service provider.When accessing certain gambling websites they refuse to let me sign in properly saying You are trying to access from a prohibited country.Is this because the IP address Opera are using is from abroad or will it be my service provider I need to speak to.It doesn't happen every time but at least twice a day.Very annoying!Can I change my IP address?Thanks,Mike from Belfast,United Kingdom

urlatenow
                                                                    0 0
                                                                    urlatenow

1 posts

Opera pages jump around all overthe place. NO idea what this is for... Android support for extensions appears to be lacking.

mrninko
                                                                      0 0
                                                                      mrninko

246 posts

Why is opera mini updated so often and opera not?? It's over month without fixes and new features!!

[Deleted User]
                                                                        0 0
                                                                        [Deleted User]

0 posts

@mrninko:

update frequency is the one metric for google playstore's rankings that manufacturers can actively control.

so more mini updates equals a somewhat better ranking, despite running on the same 2254 codebase for ages.

meanwhile opera for android is like watching a trainwreck.

mrninko
                                                                          0 0
                                                                          mrninko

246 posts

I guess it's time to start use another browser while there's such "unique" update support...

kataklysm
                                                                            0 0
                                                                            kataklysm

2 posts

There is still a problem with synchronization of data, as soon as you use encryption for your data:

in opera web you can enter two passwords: * one for your account and * one to encrypt your synchronized data

current problem with opera mobile is: * as soon as you encrypt your synchronized data on web, opera mobile does no longer synchronize any data any longer ** reason is probably cause it is not possible to provide the password for the encryption on opera mobile, so it would be good if opera mobile devs would add this