Last year when google started messing with their interface, it detected Opera 12 as a mobile device and started showing that crappy new version.
So I went into opera:config, expanded the "user prefs" option and added this to the "custom user agent" field:
Opera/9.80 (Windows NT 6.1; U; en) Presto/2.2.15 Version/10.10
It worked like a charm and google was back to displaying like it does on a desktop, nice classic easy to use interface.
Now this year they're at it again, and Opera 12 is once again displaying it as the mobile version. I tried changing the number at "spoof useragent ID" to 2 for firefox, but it's still not displaying the version that firefox gets.
Please, please I'm hoping somebody has another suggestion! The google mobile version is unusable.