Don't remember, maybe on Reddit. But I have been searching for a long time too. And I there is no way to get rid of other search engines. But obviously, this is not bothering me at all. I just don't use them.
Good news everyone!
The extension was updated to 2.4.1 today and it is working again
As it seems, it was a linux specific issue. Gj devs.
I use uBlock instead and see no popups.
thank you for your comment. On Firefox, I use uBlock Origin. But I thought using an adblock extension with Opera when Opera already has a built-in adblocker would slow down my websurfing.
Anyway, within Opera's built-in adblocker, I subscribed to https://raw.githubusercontent.com/reek/anti-adblock-killer/master/anti-adblock-killer-filters.txt and the "Please disable adblocker" wall is now gone.
thank you for your comment. I did as you said and now the pop-up "Please disable your adblocker message is gone! Thank you.
Or install some regular adblock extension like ublock origin ￼
On Firefox, I have uBlock Origin installed. But wouldn't Opera's speed be hampered by downloading an adblocker extension, as opposed to just subscribing to the text file you helpfully linked to?
I do not know what is different between the 2 lists you mention.
I don't know much, but I do know that the Adblock Killer list/textfile is better with at least two websites.
Actually it is syncing. You just cant be using the two devices at the same time. Only one of them has working syncing when doing it this way. I'm guessing I copied over some identifier that needs to be unique. But At least I figured out it's possible to sign in and that it's not a "server error".
My guess is that the opera app generates a identifier for the device and sends it to the server when signing in through the app. On newer android versions that identifier doesn't look like the server expects it to and the server just throws back a generic error message.
Of-course if you log one device out you log them both out.