To minimise information collection, I use several different browsers (Opera, Safari, Firefox, and Chrome) throughout the day. I dedicate each browser to a set of tasks such as personal use, business use, online shopping, etc. That way, I manage to "lower my profile" wrt. tracking. If a shopping site stores cookies or website data in one browser, it will not cause "related" advertisements to pop up next to my search results when I use another browser in a business meeting while hooked up to a projector (which could be embarrassing, depending on what I bought last :face_with_stuck-out_tongue_winking_eye:). What I am effectively doing, is creating silos of cookies and other browsing data, since this data is not shared between different browsers. IMO, this is a neat privacy feature.
I thus came to the conclusion that it would be super nice if I could stay in my favourite browser (Opera) all day, and at the same time have my "privacy silos". My suggestion is hence for a new feature which I would call "browsing personalities".
- No cookies or other browsing data would be shared between these personalities.
- I could define and delete them, give them calling names, and designate one of them as the default choice for creating new windows.
- When I create a new window using the current "new window" command, it would create a new window under the default personality.
- When I create a new window with a new "new window with personality", it would prompt me under which personality I want the new window created.
- Browsing data and cookies would be shared between all windows of the same personality, but of course not between different personalities.
- Data for one personality is persisted between sessions just like today.
- In the default configuration, there would be two personalities only ("default", and "private browsing"), which would result in today's behaviour (browsing data and cookies shared between all "default" windows, but not private); in the UX sense it would hence be backwards compatible.
What should happen when I drag a tab to a window of a different personality? That's a tough one. I guess that should not be possible. Tabs should only be draggable between windows of the same personality.
How do personalities relate to private windows? I guess private windows are a special kind of personality, which does not persist data between sessions.
Looking forward to your thoughts.