Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

  • built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

Unable to access a particular site since Yesterday ...

  • It is more than disabling SSL3 though: it's also enabling TLS11 and TLS12, so a total of three changes are being pushed out (though that's the way you're running without incident). I've been meaning to test just disabling SSL3 (i.e. TLS1 is the only thing enabled), but I'm not in a period right now where I can crash out again. I'll try it soon though. Unfortunately, this is not the sort of thing you can easily test in that when it happens seems completely random. I have not id'd particular sites that trigger it, so replicating it on demand isn't possible yet.

    BTW, do you also have OCSP disabled? And what OS do you have?

  • (Duplicate post - deleted by BB. I continue to get duplicates occasionally instead of "edited" ones upon submission in this forum)

  • ...
    BTW, do you also have OCSP disabled? And what OS do you have?

    I'm running Win7Pro-64 most of the time; occasionally I run XP. No, I've not disabled OCSP on any of my Opera installations.

  • I re-enabled SSL3 as a test, and didn't have any crashes for several hours.
    The browser has just crashed again however, and I checked and SSL3 was still enabled, along with the others which I didn't change.
    I've now disabled everything except TLS1, so I'll see how that goes.
    I'm on 32bit XP BTW.
    😞

  • "Thanks" for "updating" Opera 12.x…

    First crash for me dating back to October 16 and browser is not usable from that day because of infinite crashes.

    Opera 12.17 x64, Windows 8.1 x64.

    Does anyone know how to fix this?

    If this is impossible I have to switch to Firefox after 10 years with Opera. Opera based on Chromium is not usable for me.

  • I am using 12.17 on Windows 8.1 and had been having the same crashing problem recently. I was able to stop the crashing by typing "opera:config" into the address bar, searching for "SSL" and checking "Enable SSL v3", then searching for "TLS" and unchecking "Enable TLS v1.1" and "Enable TLS v1.2".

  • Opera employee HΓ₯vard said (in the above blog post, comments section) that "If you manually change the tls settings through opera:config, the Opera 12.17 update system will leave them alone," so that should be one way to stop it. I haven't tested that way.

    Blocking autoupdate.opera.com in hosts or firewall also prevents updating.

    Original configuration (no problem):
    SSL 3: ON
    TLS 1: ON
    TLS 1.1: OFF
    TLS 1.2: OFF

    Automatically changed configuration (crashes for some):
    SSL 3: OFF
    TLS 1: ON
    TLS 1.1: ON
    TLS 1.2: ON

    Working alternative here:
    SSL 3: OFF
    TLS 1: ON
    TLS 1.1: OFF
    TLS 1.2: OFF

    Enabling of the higher TLS's (one or both) seems to be the issue.

  • I would agree, I've been working all day with just TLS 1 checked, and had no crashes at all.
    πŸ†™

  • An off-topic aside, but I've been having problems, as have others, using the latest Java versions with 12.17.
    https://forums.opera.com/topic/5889/java-not-working-after-new-java-install-8-25
    I happened to notice when I was checking its settings that Java 7 Update 67 (the last one that seems to work with 12.17) has SSL 3.0 enabled in its default security settings, and TLS 1.0 enabled and TLS 1.1 and 1.2 disabled.
    πŸ™‚

  • Looking good so far. Wish I'd heard about this earlier, as I've tried lots of uninstalls and sys restores the past few days trying to find the culprit. Thanks,

  • I've tried the other TLS combinations now, and at least here, if SSL3 is disabled then the only TLS you can use with stability is TLS1.

  • I've been using it today with SSL 3 disabled, and TLS 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 all enabled, and haven't had any crashes so far (touch wood!)
    πŸ™‚

  • Spoke too soon, just crashed!
    ;_;
    Now switched TLS 1.1 and 1.2 off again.
    πŸ™‚

  • You guys rock! Thanks for all this info. I thought I loose all my hair because of not being able to log to some sites and this random crashing!!! Argh!!!... Really annoying week!!! I will also stay on TLS 1.0 for now.

  • The only working solution is to block access to address "autoupdate.opera.com" in your firewall (or add it to the Hosts file if you don't have a FW).
    I don't know why Opera team is still disabling TLS 1.1 and 1.2 remotely on all clients, if it is more secure than TLS 1.0. Some web sites require the later TLS versions and don't work with 1.0.

  • The only working solution is to block access to address "autoupdate.opera.com" in your firewall (or add it to the Hosts file if you don't have a FW). I don't know why Opera team is still disabling TLS 1.1 and 1.2 remotely on all clients...

    Have you tried the opera:config method noted above in <https://forums.opera.com/post/55410 >? Regardless, some time ago, I also blocked Opera's autoupdater (via renaming the updater file) just to be sure my own settings aren't perturbed any more. As to why Opera continues disabling TLS 1.1 and 1.2, I believe there's a definite though not universal stability problem for some users and sites if those settings are turned on with SSL3 turned off (see: <https://forums.opera.com/post/55555 > plus a myriad of past posts in various forums). I think Opera has set their update server to auto-respond to every Presto Opera startup "ping" with their SSL-TLS fix instructions. In the past, they've auto-delivered JavaScript updates and other things at that startup point, so it's not unprecedented.

Log in to reply