Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

Problem: Opera consuming much more RAM than other browsers.

• With roughly the same number of tabs open, Opera puts RAM consumption at 3.5GB, over 1GB for Chrome and 0.5GB for Firefox.

I close as many tabs as I can before closing Opera, but some tabs remain as pages to revisit in a day or two, such as simple product pages with no video.

Things like an imminent purchase is typical - but: Opera really sticks out like a sore thumb for memory usage. (I once got it on my phone to cut down on mobile data usage, so where's the love for the desktop?)

I can do the Save Bookmarks To Group on the New Tab, but it will be a chore as I'm an active web user. I would prefer to not have a chore for this browser.

Is there a way to limit Opera RAM usage, e.g. set non active tabs to reload, and thereby consume zero KB? Otherwise I'll have to stop using it as default, and I've loved Opera since the start. 😢

• @henrikerlandsson It's causing any issues?

Is there a way to limit Opera RAM usage

Opera GX has a RAM limiter

set non active tabs to reload

Being a Chromium based browser, Opera already puts inactive tabs into discard.

• @leocg It's causing the issue of using more RAM than other browsers, true - I'm a senior webdev and that's why I have multiple browsers installed and can compare.

I'm looking for a way to limit RAM usage by Opera. Currently it sits at 0.18GB per tab with 19 tabs inactive and this tab #20. Which is a little high. Currently for Firefox, this average is 0.11 for 4 tabs and for Chrome, currently 0.08 for 10 tabs. Ideally, open but inactive tabs should take an absolute minimum of RAM and force a reload if updated. Can I set latest Opera to work this way?

GX is in Beta. It seems to set a maximum usage, true. With this average, this will force inactive tabs to be truly inactive. Do you recommend it over latest Opera?

• @henrikerlandsson That's not really an issue. If it's not affecting the browser usage and/or other program usage, users shouldn't care about RAM usage.

Opera doesn't have a setting or feature to limit RAM but you can try to find an extension that helps on it. You can also try messing up with the flags.

GX is stable. I don't use it on a daily basis, so I can't say much about it. However it's basically Opera with a different UI and a few different features.

• @leocg High RAM usage for inactive tabs is an issue for any web browser, since you often have to have it open while using other RAM-demanding applications - Desktop doesn't throw out unfocused apps like Mobile does. And desktop is where you do your power browsing, Mobile is a chore. Desktop takes 2 seconds.

The problem on Desktop is that whenever something needs to be quickly looked up, we have this monolithic browser loading up. It's in the way - and it hogs GBs of RAM. We could keep it open, and it hogs GBs of RAM. This is not the solution. Loading a 100KB web page shouldn't eat 1/2 or 1/4 of working RAM cos we press Ctrl+T to search something.

I guess I'm looking for GX, some plugin to limit browser RAM usage, or some way of opening a single webpage without opening the browser with all its tabs that I need to keep available for later, and I can't create a tab group bookmark every day of the week.

Tips?

• @henrikerlandsson S/tips/what of the 3 options is best for me?

• S/what/which. Could I also add that a forum needs an edit option to cut down on excessive replies? And that 2021 will be greater than 2020. HNY 🙂

• @henrikerlandsson You have about 30 minutes to edit your posts after they are created.