:tools: Scheduled maintenance

Heads up! Downtime for the Forums, related to the NodeBB upgrade, is planned for Thursday, December 14, starting from 10:00 UTC.
Please make sure to finish all your posts before this time. The downtime should only last for a few minutes.

[alt] How to disable Opera menu being open by pressing alt in opera 20+

• Just as topic says. It really annoys me, is there any way to disable it?

• I doubt it, it's by design.
    It's the same as pressing alt highlights the file menu on other programs.
    You do then usually have to press the down arrow to expand the menu, so that could be an option.
    :-)

• As you said in every other program it only highlights the menu, not open. I'm totally fine with highlighting. In previous versions (pre chromium) it was working that way too. You had to press down to open menu. Well i guess i have to deal with it :(

• Why are you pressing Alt to begin with? You don't seem to have an issue to justify asking a program to change its behavior or devs to program to introduce a setting which would be used by less than 0.000001% of the userbase.

As you said in every other program it only highlights the menu, not open.
    Still it steals focus, which can be disastrous.

In previous versions (pre chromium) it was working that way too. You had to press down to open menu.
    It wasn't, at least not of you used the combined menu in Opera's button. It'd open the menu on Alt.

• Well you know. Sometimes when I'm using voice communicators (TS3/Skype) I'm using push to talk option and one of best keys to activate talking is alt since alt alone in most programs does nothing - its always alt+something. It's not much of an issue, just an annoying thing which maybe is solved by some addons or by simple modyfication of a single file - thats why I asked about that.

• I can see from a web search that both TS3 and Skype will let you edit the push to talk hotkey, Alt doesn't even look to be the default one...

• ~.~ you completly miss the point. Both let edit key, sure, but I said that alt is best for me.
    You say why devs should introduce a setting to change it. Then I will ask why I should fit to their laziness then, no other program I'm using opens whole menu by pressing JUST alt, it steals focus, but I don't care bout it.

That discussion is starting to be pointless I got my answer, and you are now just trying to prove me that I'm wrong in any way.
    Really I know how i can change settings of my apps, and I know that I can. I know what I had in previous versions of Opera, I know what I can set up in other browsers. I just asked if there is any way to change it, there is lots of addons for both chrome and opera - maybe one allows to change behaviour when alt is pressed. I got already my answer that probably there is nothing like that - ok fine.

• It's not laziness, it's wasting time on coding something when they can spend that time much better on other much more important things.

You can call devs for "laziness" but I can't consider yours to use a more sane keyboard shortcut in the equation? Pff.
    Oh and let's not forget it's all based on you pressing a key without paying attention to the screen...

• Does no one here use Alt-Tab? This action triggers this menu popping up, which is really annoying. Please allow disabling of this feature, Opera.

• [Mod note: Do not comment on an post, specially an old one like this if you are not going to comment exclusively about the topic and have real new and/or useful information or a related question.]

• On that note, does anyone know how to change hotkeys? This blogpost explains how, but it seems all the options to change hotkeys are gone now (as of Opera version 26).

http://danielsokolowski.blogspot.com/2012/07/disable-ctrlspace-opera-keyboard.html

Just like the alt hotkey, the Ctrl+Space "feature" is a total pain in the butt. I've lost form data due to this.

• On that note, does anyone know how to change hotkeys?

It's offtopic. Please serach for a more related topic or create a new one.

• If there's a way to disable the alt key, wouldn't it be via a hotkeys manager? Which seemed to exist once upon a time, but has disappeared?

I discovered a third annoying hotkey-- Shift+Click on a tab closes it. I don't want this behavior, there are already other perfectly fine ways to close a tab.

• If there's a way to disable the alt key, wouldn't it be via a hotkeys manager?

This thread is about the menu being opened when you use the tab key and not about changing/disabling keyboard shortcuts.

I discovered a third annoying hotkey-- Shift+Click on a tab closes it. I don't want this behavior, there are already other perfectly fine ways to close a tab.

If you don't like it, just don't use it or try to change it.

• The alt key bringing up the menu is absolutely a shortcut. A shortcut can be a single key too, not just a combination of keys.

That's the thing--I don't want to use these shortcuts, I keep inadvertently hitting them however. Especially the alt one. And as for "trying to change it", that's why I am here...

• The alt key bringing up the menu is absolutely a shortcut. A shortcut can be a single key too, not just a combination of keys.

Never said anything different.

That's the thing--I don't want to use these shortcuts, I keep inadvertently hitting them however. Especially the alt one.

Honest question: how someone can manage to do this? Once in a while, maybe, but often is something i really don't get. The "alt" one maybe but the others...

And as for "trying to change it", that's why I am here...

I mean to try to change by yourself because i don't think they will change it, ay least not in a near future.

Check here and here

• Does no one here use Alt-Tab? This action triggers this menu popping up, which is really annoying. Please allow disabling of this feature, Opera.

Yeah, except it doesn't. You have to press and release alt for it to open the menu. If you press alt, hold it, and then tab (which you have to do to use the alt+tab combo in Windows) and the release it the program will switch without ever opening the Opera menu. Also, only the left alt key opens the Opera menu. You could simply use the right alt key for your chat program.

Check here and here"*

I'll try this and get back to you.

*Yeah, except it doesn't. *

Due to whatever strange timing, this happens for me every single day--the Opera alt menu overlays a completely different window that I have alt-tabbed to. I don't feel like changing my Windows keyboard habits for a browser, thank you very much.

• Due to whatever strange timing, this happens for me every single day--the Opera alt menu overlays a completely different window that I have alt-tabbed to.

I've seen reports about this but never was able to reproduce in a constant way.

• This was painful - found easiest fix was to just map the right alt to the left alt key
    works great unless you have specifically hotkeyed using LAlt

~LAlt:: ;bypass opera left alt key menu hotkey
    ifwinactive, - Opera
    {
    Send {RAlt}
    return
    }
    Send {LAlt}
    return

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.