Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

Can't get rid of bookmarks bar

• @hankster1958 Answering your question, since adding a bookmark to the bookmarks bar seems to make it show up, placing the bookmark somewhere else will probably avoid that behavior.

• @leocg Sorry, but that is not possible. The bookmark bar pops up before you select a place to store it

• I think it's a bug. This issue doesn't occur in early versions.

• When I hit ctrl + d to bookmark a page, if "bookmarks bar" was the last-selected location, the bookmarks bar will automatically show with "Bookmarks bar" selected in the drop-down in the Bookmarks dialog that shows up. But, if I click that drop-down and switch to "other bookmarks", the bookmarks bar automatically disappears. I can swicth back and forth between "bookmarks bar" and "other bookmarks" in the drop-down in the dialgo the bookmarks bar with switch on and off to match.

If I hit ctrl + d to bookmark a page where the last-selected save location is "other bookmarks" (as in, anything but "bookmarks bar"), the bookmarks bar isn't automatically enabled.

That behavior seems makes sense to me. However, I can understand that some users might want to save to the bookmarks bar without it automatically showing where they only enable the bookmarks bar themselves when and if they're ready. But, if one never plans to make use of the bookmarks bar at all, they should just set the save location to "other bookmarks" (anything but "bookmarks bar") and they'll be good to go from then.

For users that never wanted to use the bookmarks bar and just discovered that all their bookmarks have been saved there, they can goto the URL opera://bookmarks, click on "Bookmarks bar", click in the area in the right-hand pane under the line that's under the "Bookmarks bar" text, hit ctrl + a to select everything and then drag the selection to "other bookmarks" in the left-hand pane. Then, create/update an bookmarks on the page and set the location to "other bookmarks" and you'll be all good.

• @moppera It doesn't happen here on Opera developer 65, so maybe it's just a matter of time.

• @leocg Good to know, thank you

• @burnout426 said in Can't get rid of bookmarks bar:

But, if I click that drop-down and switch to "other bookmarks", the bookmarks bar automatically disappears. I can switch back and forth between "bookmarks bar" and "other bookmarks" in the drop-down in the dialog the bookmarks bar with switch on and off to match.

I should clarify. That's when there are no bookmarks on the bookmarks bar and I'm trying to add one. If there's already at least 1 bookmark on the bookmarks bar, switching back n forth between "bookmarks bar" and "other bookmarks" just adds and removes that bookmark from the bar. It doesn't shut the bookmarks bar off when switching to "other bookmarks". Nothing does. You have set it to "other bookmarks" to make "other bookmarks" the last-selected save location, close the dialog and then manually shut the bookmarks bar off. So, in that case, it can be a little more annoying. The way around it though is to just set "other bookmarks" for a bookmark and then manually turn the bar off. Then it won't come back up. And, to get the behavior I quoted, you need to clear the bookmarks bar of bookmarks like @popinjay01 said.

• It's annoying 😡 😡 . The same issue on windows10 😞

• @hannijke said in Can't get rid of bookmarks bar:

It's annoying 😡 😡 . The same issue on windows10 😞

In the bookmarks page, move everything in "Bookmarks Bar" to "Other bookmarks". Then, bookmark a page to "other bookmarks" so that "other bookmarks" is now the default save location. Then, it should stay off.

• @popinjay01
    Thank you! This actually worked!
    (But I don't know how it got changed to "bookmark bar" (from "other bookmarks") in the first place?!)