Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

Can't get rid of bookmarks bar

• Hi,
    Yeah, I know, some of you must like the bookmarks bar, there must be a reason why Opera introduced it. Anyway I have never used it and am not planning to do so, however my browser seems to want me to. Since a little while Opera opens the bookmarks bar whenever it likes. Have not yet found the pattern. Opening a PDF was my first suspect, but it only pops up every second time, not always. Also when I click on a link in an email, or I open a new tab: bam, here it is again. I switch it off, but I never have to wait long before it returns. First I regularly switched it off but meanwhile it tends to become a little annoying. So this is my question: how can I get rid of it forever? Any ideas? Thank you !

• Usually, it is saving a bookmark to the Bookmarks Bar folder that makes it display.

• I'm having what seems to be the same issue, and the bar keeps coming back without bookmarking anything or even looking at bookmarks.

• In my case it's different. 5 minutes ago I received an email with a link (using Thunderbird), which I clicked and the next thing I saw was the bookmarks bar in my browser.

• if bookmark tool bar is showing then right click bookmark and uncheck Show bookmarks bar..

• @nvmjustagirl That's what I'm doing again and again

• I have a link to the bookmarks on my sidebar... There is a keyboard shortcut to access it too.... WHY must it pop that bar I do not want at the top of my browser window up every time I add a link etc?? Is there no way to turn that one off without having to "remove" it every single time??

• Download the Opera installer, launch it, click "options", set "install path" to a folder named "Opera Test" on your desktop, set "install for" to "standalone installation", uncheck "import data from default browser" and install. Test in that Opera but do not enable Opera Sync and do not install any extensions. Turn the bookmarks bar off, close Opera and start it up again.

Does it happen there too? You can do launcher.exe "https://example.com/" on the command line with Opera open or closed to see if an outside link somehow triggers it.