Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

Opera can't play videos on Facebook

• I want to Opera browser stable version. But there's a problem. Opera can't play on facebook but play videos on other websites (Youtube and Udemy).
    Opera can't play only when logged in my Facebook account. Opera, when I'm not logged in my Facebook account. plays all videos on Facebook. But Chrome/Chromium browser plays videos in my Facebook account and other websites.

I tried:
    I reinstalled Opera browser. I downloaded from https://www.opera.com/tr/download
    Flash Player is installed and enabled. I checked. https://helpx.adobe.com/tr/flashplayer.html
    I enabled adblocker extension. I added Facebook website to the exception list.
    I disabled and removed all (adblocker and google translate) extensions.
    I downloaded Opera browser (opera-stable and opera-stable-ffmpeg package) in CentOS repository. Problem is don't solved.
    I reset the Opera browser settings. Still, Opera can't play only when in facebook account. But Opera, when I'm not logged in my Facebook account.
    I cleared all cookies, caches, data.
    Launched Opera in private mode.
    Enabled/Disabled hardware acceleration on Opera settings.
    I copied /usr/lib/chromium-browser/libffmpeg.so file to Opera install directory.
    I downloaded unofficial ffmpeg.so file and moved Opera install directory. https://github.com/iteufel/nwjs-ffmpeg-prebuilt/releases
    I logged in other facebook account and I tried play videos.

Note: I restarted Opera browser when after every try.

Opera And System Information:

Version:58.0.3135.53
    Opera is up to date
    Update stream:Stable
    System:CentOS Linux 7 (Core) (x86_64; MATE)

Browser identification
    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/71.0.3578.98 Safari/537.36 OPR/58.0.3135.53

Paths
    Install: /usr/lib64/opera
    Profile: /home/onur/.config/opera
    Cache: /home/onur/.cache/opera

Opera: GPU (opera://gpu) Information
    https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/sdK2wBh5GG/

Can anyone help me?

• Is opera://flags/#disable-accelerated-video-decode set to enabled?

• Please take a moment and read the post on my signature (and the one below it) and you will understand one of opera's most important problems: h264 support.

• @leocg
    Not available on my platform.

@jimunderscorep
    I read the post and all comments. If so there is nothing to do. 😞

Why developers don't fix the problem?

• What distro are you on?
    The opera devs can not fix the problem because h264 is a proprietary codec and they need a licence to use it.

• @jimunderscorep
    I'm using CentOS 7.6 to learn the CentOS server management. I'm used to the Arch Linux distribution. There was no problem in the distribution of Arch Linux

• @empat said in Opera can't play videos on Facebook:

I want to Opera browser stable version. But there's a problem. Opera can't play on facebook but play videos on other websites (Youtube and Udemy).
    Opera can't play only when logged in my Facebook account. Opera, when I'm not logged in my Facebook account. plays all videos on Facebook. But Chrome/Chromium browser plays videos in my Facebook account and other websites.

I copied /usr/lib/chromium-browser/libffmpeg.so file to Opera install directory.

Which Chromium version did you use to get libffmpeg.so

If it was 71, try using the libffmpeg.so file from Slimjet 21 or Chromium 70. Slimjet 21 is easy to find, Chromium 70 is not easy to find...

• @empat

@empat said in Opera can't play videos on Facebook:

@leocg
    Not available on my platform.

@jimunderscorep
    I read the post and all comments. If so there is nothing to do. 😞

Why developers don't fix the problem?

Because it is not their problem to fix. Opera is not at fault here. It is annoying but we can´t blame opera for it.

• Actually the opera devs are to blame. They could build opera for linux so that it will use the system's ffmpeg libraries (= the 3 libav files I can not remember now) and play everything, like all distros do with their chromium browser package. Or even make opera use those if they are available
    But no, they choose to follow the ubuntu's way and build opera with its own libffmpeg and you know the rest of the story.

On top of that, since h264 is proprietary, I think they could buy a licence. How? By spending some of the money they get from all their search providers.
    Yes, those 6 search engines that show up on the right click > search, that they can not be shuffled or removed, sponsor opera to use them.
    As for how much does a h264 licence cost, please google "h264 license mpeg la".

• I had the same problem. It seems you are missing some codecs. The easiest way to get them is to download the Chromium (not Google Chrome) Browser. You don't have to use it, just download and install it. Simple. It worked for me.