Do more on the web, with a fast and secure browser!

Download Opera browser with:

• built-in ad blocker
  • battery saver
  • free VPN
Download Opera

Graphical problems with inputs/textareas

• I've recently noticed that input fields or textareas on websites are not behaving as expected and they get this default Windows button sort of look. You can see what happens in the screenshots below.

The Opera version is 56.0.3051.36 and it's running on Windows 10. There are no plugins or any special addons installed in the browser and this behavior happens on any website. Since it looks kind of like a graphical glitch, it may be worth mentioning that the graphics card used is Intel HD Graphics 620. In Edge or Firefox, there is no such problem.

Do you know what the problem is and how to fix it?

0_1538903763802_8998253b-0ee3-4526-b477-22befa254189-image.png

0_1538903800287_f1b7be1d-20dc-4cc1-9483-f6dd18b64a40-image.png

0_1538903869232_fcafb71a-456c-4799-9698-40f6ac7a258f-image.png

• You can temporaraily disable hardware acceleration (or GPU compositing) - there seems to exist some incompatibility between Intel video and Opera. There are few other threads with similar problem; I'm waiting for fix either.

• @leopik2
    Setting -> advanced setting -> system -> turn off "Use hardware acceleration when available".

• @blackcoffez @donq yeah but cmon that would also disable acceleration of videos and such ... I mean, honestly, how can something like this even ship? I got the same issue on a GeForce 1070, so it's definitely not intel only.

• @tabmow said in Graphical problems with inputs/textareas:

I mean, honestly, how can something like this even ship?

Oh, have you been involved in software development? I am (not Opera dev of course) - and this is relatively minor issue, affecting mostly only visual appearance.
    Often much more serious problems (like corrupting data - or like latest W10 update, which sometimes just deletes user documents) slip into releases. Read dilbert comics strips - you will discover many (sad) truths about software development...

As you see problems on GeForce too, then that is for better - we can hope fix sooner 🙂

• @donq Yes I am, working in a very big company in fact ... and user interface is one of the most important things of any product, so how this could not receive the utmost amount of testing is beyond me, especially as this doesn't seem to be a rare issue at all (I have very common hardware).

PS: oh and that's from me as a service developer. For the end user, having "trivial" bugs in the UI/UX can break your product much more than any technical debt or other stupid bugs that will make us cringe as developers.