Trouble of the Day

• About that Windows boot situation, it "behaves" practically every time now. Unless I boot back very soon after shut-down.

There was a "Samsung" screen offering "Recovery". Well, I tried - did not proceed, because it said I must lose my C.
    I switched off-on a time or two - as I hoped a Windows black screen with booting options: last two times I chose "normal" - it was o'k! :dunno:

• Mostly browsing with Firefox, I've got a couple of occurrences of this thing in these couple of days. Haven't noticed if it happened only when I use certain sites or do something special or not.

In the Windows task bar, a task thing appears, with title "Daily News".
    Both times I got it, I tried clicking on it to see WTF was that. But nothing went up. Right-clicking to close it worked.
    The icon in this task thing was not a Firefox one, nor any other I recently used.

What is that? A virus? Or some "recent feature" of Firefox?
    Or can it be an extension causing it?
    Should I make a screenshot next time? Should I check certain tools in order to find out what's going on before I close it?

• If it doesn't have a Firefox icon, then it can't be an extension. Extensions do not run outside the browser.

In the Windows task bar, a task thing appears, with title "Daily News".
    Both times I got it, I tried clicking on it to see WTF was that. But nothing went up. Right-clicking to close it worked.
    The icon in this task thing was not a Firefox one, nor any other I recently used.

The next time it appears, try right clicking the taskbar icon and selecting Properties, then look at the Target and Start-in boxes that appear in the pop-up. Note: in some Windows versions, you may have to right click the taskbar icon and again right click on the program's name within the taskbar pop-up to get the Properties option to appear. There may be some path information in that Target or Start-in data that gives a clue as to what is originating the taskbar icon.

• @blackbird71
    Sorry for the delay. I was sick flat and didn't give poop about anything.
    The thing seems to be generated daily by my AV 360. I guess it's all right. Thank you, little bird;)

• @joshl said in Trouble of the Day:

The thing seems to be generated daily by my AV 360. I guess it's all right. ...

I'm glad you're back! Hopefully, you're feeling better at last.

Is your identification of 360 as the source of the 'daily news' pop-up based on right-clicking the taskbar icon's Properties? The "target" entry should show you the path to the originating file and what folder it's coming from.

• @blackbird71 said in Trouble of the Day:

@joshl said in Trouble of the Day:

The thing seems to be generated daily by my AV 360. I guess it's all right. ...

Is your identification of 360 as the source of the 'daily news' pop-up based on right-clicking the taskbar icon's Properties? The "target" entry should show you the path to the originating file and what folder it's coming from.

No:) It says "360" etc. in the title bar:lol:

• @joshl said in Trouble of the Day:

No:) It says "360" etc. in the title bar:lol:

Ahh... OK. I don't use 360, so I wasn't aware if they did a 'daily news' thing. However, many AVs indeed do put up an occasional message pop-up with either virus news or weekly/monthly track record of attacks upon the system, so it may simply be in that class of message. Depending on the AV, sometimes a user can suppress such messages if desired, but not all AVs that perform the messaging give a user that option.

• @blackbird71 The thing doesn't seem very aggressive, however it offers an upgrade to be able to lose ads etc. But it does not appear that annoying as some, so I gratefully decline:)

• Free AV software will display stuff asking you to upgrade - Avira does that also.

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.