How do I start Opera in Private Browsing mode?

• When I was on Opera 12.6, I could edit the Opera's properties and add "-newprivatetab" behind ""C:\Program Files (x86)\Opera\launcher.exe"" to launch it in private browsing whenever I click on it.

However, adding "-newprivatetab" in Opera 20 doesn't open it in private browsing any more.

Does anyone know how to make it open in private browsing whenever I click on the Opera icon? Thanks!!

• First, open your Opera 10.6 browser.
    click on opera amd click ew private window or press Ctrl+Shift+n

Click on the Opera menu button, located in the upper left hand corner of your browser and circled in the example above. When the drop-down menu appears, select the New private window option.

• ...\launcher.exe --private

• Or pin Opera to the task bar or start menu, so you can right-click it to directly start a new private window.

• ...\launcher.exe --private

Yay! Thanks! That worked perfectly! :)

• I would leave a comment .. but I'm incognito :-) .. uh, maybe not :-/

The suggested shortcut target
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Opera\launcher.exe" --private

will not launch Opera in private mode unless Opera is already running (so I have to open my shortcut twice)

Is there a better solution?

• I would leave a comment .. but I'm incognito :-) .. uh, maybe not :-/
    The suggested shortcut target
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Opera\launcher.exe" --private
    will not launch Opera in private mode unless Opera is already running (so I have to open my shortcut twice)
    Is there a better solution?

It does launch Opera in private mode for me the moment I opened it.

From my knowledge, we can access different Opera shortcuts to launch Opera. So if you edited the shortcut target via the start menu, it may not launch in private mode. Perhaps you can try launching Opera first, right click the Opera icon in the taskbar, right-click on Opera to edit properties and edit the shortcut target. I hope it will work for you.

• ..\launcher.exe --private WORKS!! YABADABADOO!!
    ..\launcher.exe -newprivatetab doesn't work. Don't (was probably ok earlier versions, is not now)

I'm on V25.0.1614.50. Many thanks to all posters this thread. Happy chappy!

FYI I'm W7 and I've restored the original Quick Launch bar, where I have Opera as a shortcut. It's easy to right click the properties of the shortcut and edit. NB make sure all versions of Opera are stopped and not running (maybe confirm using Task Manager) before trying the new shortcut. HTH :)

Looks like your connection to Opera forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.