New Opera Forums launching soon!
Discussion thread
jgffopera
Earth

17 posts

Playing videos on Twitter does not work again in the Opera browser for Linux; update needed.

6 Replies - 272 Views

sgunhouse
    1 0
    sgunhouse

3869 posts

• Server monkey
    • 2000 posts

You indicate you copied a 32-bit library for a 64-bit version of Opera - of course it doesn't work. Make sure you have a 64-bit version of Chromium to copy the library from.

christophffm
    0 0
    christophffm

5 posts

Same sh*t every update again. I guess they don't want anybody to use their browser... guys! I copied libffmpeg.so from /usr/lib/chromium-browser/ to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera but it didn't help. Those who make this software probably never use it?

Please fix this simple issue once and for all. Can't be so hard, can it?

christophffm
      0 0
      christophffm

5 posts

Thank you for the hint. It works now if you copy

libffmpeg.so

from

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/oxide-qt/

to

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera

with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Sorry for being so upset. But if you want regular people to use this software then this "workaround" is already too much. Cause Opera is a excellent piece of software and if many people use it, it will be maintained in the future.

denisftw
        0 0
        denisftw

8 posts

Thank you for the hint. It works now if you copy libffmpeg.so from /usr/lib/x8664-linux-gnu/oxide-qt/ to /usr/lib/x8664-linux-gnu/opera with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Sorry for being so upset. But if you want regular people to use this software then this "workaround" is already too much. Cause Opera is a excellent piece of software and if many people use it, it will be maintained in the future.

Cool! I have no idea why overwriting the newer version of libffmpeg.so with the old one works, but it solves the problem.

jimunderscorep
          0 0
          jimunderscorep

127 posts

Why don't you just install chromium-codecs-ffmpeg and chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra since you are on ubuntu? And please remove the oxideqt-codecs and oxideqt-codecs-extra you seem to have installed...

denisftw
            0 0
            denisftw

8 posts

Why don't you just install chromium-codecs-ffmpeg and chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra since you are on ubuntu? And please remove the oxideqt-codecs and oxideqt-codecs-extra you seem to have installed...

You cannot install both "chromium-codecs-ffmpeg" and "chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra" at the same time. The latter includes everything from the former and some additional codecs. However, as I pointed out in another thread, everyone had already had "chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra" installed when Twitter videos stopped playing, so it wasn't their lack that caused the problem.

Right now, christophffm's is the only solution that works.