New Opera Forums launching soon!
Discussion thread

russian ads when using vpn

crip720
crip720

1 posts

Lately I have notice that 'ads by google' on sites I whitelisted are in russian? Have been searching all over, but did not find answer. These are not pop up ads that some malware have. Today opera's vpn was slow so I turned it off. The ads after were in enghish, I turned on vpn again and the ads were back to russian. Use Canada or U.S. vpn. Does anyone know what is happening? Thank you.

6 Replies - 389 Views

kentchristopher
    1 0
    kentchristopher

5 posts

Having the same or similar problem here: When I set the Opera VPN to a location of US, then do a search, I'm getting results from Google Ukraine. I've tried clearing all history - same results.

rmgillespiei
      0 0
      rmgillespiei

2 posts

I have noticed that google links are often in Cyrillic characters, and my hotel reservation link came up with a URL "ostrovok.ru." Does this mean that I look like I am surfing from Russia? Might be confusing if I am tracked by the FBI.

sgunhouse
        0 0
        sgunhouse

3871 posts

• Server monkey
        • 2000 posts

They know you're using a VPN and are trying to guess where you're really from?

rmgillespiei
        0 0
        rmgillespiei

2 posts

And on my phone, currently, google searches end up in Cyrillic if not Russian. How to use this VPN and still read my results? BTW my link says that I am connecting via the US.

pursuit81
          0 0
          pursuit81

1 posts

Having exactly the same problem as kentchristopher. I will add however that the problem seems to be exclusive to Google searches. When I set search default to Yahoo or Bing, I don't get the Cyrillic result. Not sure what any of it means but it's a PIA.

alpacalips
            0 0
            alpacalips

1 posts

Same with YouTube ads. Wish I knew why.