New Opera Forums launching soon!
Discussion thread

General Opera for Windows Question and Answer Thread

leocg
leocg

13247 posts

• 10000 posts

Want to ask something about Opera but don't want to create a topic just for it or can't find a related one? Now you can ask your (objective) question here in this topic and others will do their best to try to give you an answer.

The most frequently asked ones may be included in the Opera for Windows F.A.Q

In order to keep this working, please:

• Try to make objective questions about Opera for Windows
  • Try to give objective answers
  • Do not post opinions, suggestions, requests, etc. Post only questions and/or answers

Enjoy!

90 Replies - 2311 Views

past50
0 0
past50

1 posts

47.0.2631.71 (PGO) - An error occurred while checking for updates

What causes this?

leocg
    0 0
    leocg

13247 posts

• 10000 posts

47.0.2631.71 (PGO) - An error occurred while checking for updates What causes this?

There can be several causes for it. A problem on the servers, a problem in auto update process, an anti-virus, a firewall, many can be the causes.

Sometimes just running the installer resolve it.

llopatin1
    0 0
    llopatin1

2 posts

I have Opera 36 on my Windows Vista desktop. I see there are versions up to and beyond 41. When I click a link to download Opera 41, it re-installs Opera 36. Am I missing something, or is it that 36 is the most recent that Vista can use? Thanks!

sgunhouse
      0 0
      sgunhouse

3871 posts

• Server monkey
      • 2000 posts

The last build of Opera which will run on Vista or XP is 36.0.2130.80; you cannot run a later version without at least Windows 7.

llopatin1
      0 0
      llopatin1

2 posts

Thanks, sgunhouse. I thought that might be the case.

davehawley
        0 0
        davehawley

1271 posts

• Server monkey
        • 1000 posts

Are Opera still providing any security updates to Opera 36?
        They said they would for an unspecified period when they had to drop support for XP and Vista, but it's been a very long time now since the last one!
        Would they announce if it had now officially been abandoned?
        Opera 36 already won't display some secure sites.
        :(

rafiki
        0 0
        Moon

82 posts

• Server monkey

Zoom: How can I increase the number of steps available to the zoom function? I'd like to have 5% increments between 125% and 150%

leocg
        0 0
        leocg

13247 posts

• 10000 posts

How can I increase the number of steps available to the zoom function?

As far as I know, you can't.

rafiki
        0 0
        Moon

82 posts

• Server monkey

OK thanks.

operafox
        0 0
        Cat

11 posts

Opera v. 47. I want my own avatar for my posts, so I clicked on my generic avatar. Do I have to learn about Gravatars and coding to make my own/

davehawley
          1 0
          davehawley

1271 posts

• Server monkey
          • 1000 posts

Are you talking about your avatar in this forum?
          If so, this should be in the forum issues section.
          As far as I know you can still only have a personalised avatar here by using Gravatar.
          :)

rdvopera
          0 0
          rdvopera

1 posts

Hi, I use AeroGlass and transparency in the skin not once you get the native skin Windows 10, or just have to use a different browser in the end.

odourpreventer
            0 0
            odourpreventer

2 posts

Is it or will it be possible to use standard window management? (Standard title bar, window borders, etc?)

leocg
              0 0
              leocg

13247 posts

• 10000 posts

Is it or will it be possible to use standard window management? (Standard title bar, window borders, etc?)

What do you mean by this?

odourpreventer
              1 0
              odourpreventer

2 posts

What do you mean by this?

From what I can tell, Opera uses a custom title bar and window borders, meaning that it doesn't play so well with window managers like autohotkey, at least in Windows 7. Is there some way to restore the system title bar and borders?

leocg
                1 0
                leocg

13247 posts

• 10000 posts

Is there some way to restore the system title bar and borders?

Nope, you can't restore what wasn't there.

leotness
                1 0
                leotness

2 posts

Why dont appear the magic actions for youtube controls in the new opera. I desinstal and instal opera and magic actions for you tube and te controls dont appear.< I left opera soon

leocg
                  1 0
                  leocg

13247 posts

• 10000 posts

Why dont appear the magic actions for youtube controls in the new opera.

Maybe because that extension hasn't been updated in the last 1 year? Maybe because Youtube has changed its layout?

leeflo
                  1 0
                  leeflo

2 posts

Some how I got something that keeps popping up tabs for dating, sex and brides constantly. What can I do to stop this?

leocg
                    1 1
                    leocg

13247 posts

• 10000 posts

Some how I got something that keeps popping up tabs for dating, sex and brides constantly. What can I do to stop this?

Not exactly an Opera issue, you probably got a malware in your computer. Try running some anti-malware and anti-virus software.

leotness
                    1 0
                    leotness

2 posts

how can I make magic actions for youtube correctly display its controls?

leocg
                      0 0
                      leocg

13247 posts

• 10000 posts

how can I make magic actions for youtube correctly display its controls?

Asking its author(s) to update the extension?

xirit32
                      0 0
                      xirit32

154 posts

Can't happen to find the official Opera blue-white wallpaper with the mountain and the cloud above it, with the polygon look. Does anyone know where to find it? Or maybe some good pal has saved it to his drive? :P Thanks in advance.

xirit32
                        0 0
                        xirit32

154 posts

Can't happen to find the official Opera blue-white wallpaper with the mountain and the cloud above it, with the polygon look. Does anyone know where to find it? Or maybe some good pal has saved it to his drive? Thanks in advance.

Nvm, found it :)

tedsmith
                          0 0
                          Hockey

2 posts

is this normal for opera ? https://imgur.com/isijXyx

leocg
                            0 0
                            leocg

13247 posts

• 10000 posts

is this normal for opera ? https://imgur.com/isijXyx

I don't think so.

sgunhouse
                            0 0
                            sgunhouse

3871 posts

• Server monkey
                            • 2000 posts

Seen cases before - some time ago - where it would grab a section of the window and then tile it across the page like that. But never reproducible.

tedsmith
                            0 0
                            Hockey

2 posts

Interesting I have also had this happen. https://imgur.com/a/ASDm1 Any idea why this happens ? I have been recommending this the my users and now I'm having to rethink that. especially after the sell out.

princessincognito
                              0 0
                              princessincognito

1 posts

Hi. I am unfortunately rather uneducated about computers these days. I used to know enough to get into trouble, but I’m afraid I haven’t kept up with things, and have been left behind. That said, I have problems with my computer deleting my browser. I searched and found one other issue regarding this and only found one, from 2015, and it was closed, but I did not benefit from reading it.

I downloaded and installed the Opera browser and pinned it to my bar, and it worked well for weeks. Then one morning it was gone. I looked in the Windows program list in their little window icon in the corner and it was gone. I searched for it and Windows found nothing. I opened the downloads folder and even the .exe I had initially used had vanished. I downloaded it again and pinned the shortcut to the bar, and the next time I looked for it it was missing. This happened several times. Eventually something one of my children had been doing on my browser remained in the recent folder so I tried opening that before reinstalling and it opened the browser. Pinned the shortcut, but the next time I used the computer the shortcut was gone again. I followed this routine a few times to get my browser back and noticed that if the window didn’t get closed the pinned shortcut remained in the bar, but was not the O but looked like a document. If the browser got closed attempting to reopen gave me an error, which I did not think to write down and have no recollection as to what it said. But the browser was gone again.

This morning I was greeted with files in the download folders all claiming to be Opera web documents, all open in my son’s Chrome, but when opened from there did open my Opera.

I am irritated that I must look for my browser every time I use the computer. I am concerned that by opening it this way I am creating future problems with broken code or something. I am also under the impression that reinstalling it regularly is just filling up my hard drive with useless garbage and random lost files, and I have an old computer with barely enough space for Windows 10 and don’t want to be making more trouble than I can deal with.

Is there a thread that addresses this issue? Please let me know where and I will look at that and see if I can fix this inconvenience without further ado. If not, please form your answers in a manner an ID10T can understand. Thanks PrincessIncognito

leocg
                                0 0
                                leocg

13247 posts

• 10000 posts

Is there a thread that addresses this issue?

Not that I remember. There are/were some about disappearing shortcuts but not in the way you are describing it.

And your issue would fit better in its own topic.

This morning I was greeted with files in the download folders all claiming to be Opera web documents, all open in my son’s Chrome, but when opened from there did open my Opera.

Probably because Opera is set as default application for that file type or protocol.

I downloaded and installed the Opera browser and pinned it to my bar, and it worked well for weeks. Then one morning it was gone. I looked in the Windows program list in their little window icon in the corner and it was gone. I searched for it and Windows found nothing. I opened the downloads folder and even the .exe I had initially used had vanished

There seem to be something wrong with your Windows. A downloaded file should not be erased from your hard disk unless you have done it nor shortcuts should vanish with no reason.

Did you check if you have logged in using the same user? Do you use any clean up software?

tjrjn
                                0 0
                                tjrjn

1 posts

I have recently installed Opera and I love it except every couple of days or so it gets really slow or hangs and when I go into the control panel I see multiple versions of opera.exe running - sometimes with quite high CPU and memory usage. I only have two add-ons and disabling them made no difference. Any suggestions please? TjRjn

sgunhouse
                                  0 0
                                  sgunhouse

3871 posts

• Server monkey
                                  • 2000 posts

Opera is a multi-threaded program, it can use multiple processes to speed up execution. So even with only one tab open you will see multiple "versions" running.

Opera is based on Chromium. There are some "memory leaks" that they are still trying to track down. That means, you really shouldn't leave it running 24/7. If you are not using it, shut Opera down so the system can recover the "leaked" memory.

makesownweather
                                  0 0
                                  makesownweather

15 posts

• Server monkey

Hi - I have used Opera for 10 years +, but lately (Release 47 or the one before) I can not longer download videos on youtube. I have all the same extensions for this and all are enabled. But no DOWNLOAD options appear below the video as they used to appear. I do not know what to do. Please help. Thanks in advance.

leocg
                                  0 0
                                  leocg

13247 posts

• 10000 posts

I can not longer download videos on youtube. I have all the same extensions for this and all are enabled. But no DOWNLOAD options appear

Were those extensions updated in the last couple of weeks? YouTube changed recently and most probably it broke lots of extensions, that will need to update themselves.

davehawley
                                  2 0
                                  davehawley

1271 posts

• Server monkey
                                  • 1000 posts

If that is the case, which is highly likely, at the moment you can revert to the old YouTube layout by clicking on your avatar top right, and selecting "old YouTube" at the bottom of the pop-up list.

makesownweather
                                  0 0
                                  makesownweather

15 posts

• Server monkey

Hi DaveHawley - Yes, this is the kind of solution I would like, but I looked top-right and can not find my avatar?

operafox
                                  0 0
                                  Cat

11 posts

@PrincessIncognito--

Disappearing shortcuts is a Windows problem, not an Opera problem. When you installed Opera, it should have put a shortcut into your Start Menu too.Is it there? You might have to use that to get around the problem. And you can have a shortcut on your desktop too, for convenience.

A program can't uninstall itself, unless you have someone else sharing the computer.

Program is either in Program Files (meaning 64-bit) or Program Files(x86) meaning Win 32

Until everything goes 64-bit, there will be 2 Program Files folders

operafox
                                    0 0
                                    Cat

11 posts

@makesownweather--

don't need an extension. I use "Youtube Downloader HD" a standalone program, and there are several others.

operafox
                                      0 0
                                      Cat

11 posts

I've downloaded several wallpapers, the last a colorful yellow, a bright blue before that. This was some weeks ago. https://addons.opera.com/en/wallpapers/details/home-in-yellow/

Where is it supposed to be? My UI is still gray and white. "Enable wallpaper" is checked in settings.

sgunhouse
                                        0 0
                                        sgunhouse

3871 posts

• Server monkey
                                        • 2000 posts

Wallpaper is displayed as a background in speed dial and some other internal pages.

joshl
                                        0 0
                                        joshl

3747 posts

• Server monkey
                                        • 2000 posts

Get married? ;)

:D

davehawley
                                        0 0
                                        davehawley

1271 posts

• Server monkey
                                        • 1000 posts

Hi DaveHawley - Yes, this is the kind of solution I would like, but I looked top-right and can not find my avatar?

It should be immediately to the right of the "bell" notifications icon.
                                        If you haven't set an avatar, it's presumably a generic icon.

operafox
                                        0 0
                                        Cat

11 posts

sgunhouse--

Wallpaper is displayed as a background in speed dial and some other internal pages.

I don't do Speed Dial. What I'd like is for the caption boxes at the top right NOT be gray on gray.

operafox
                                          0 0
                                          Cat

11 posts

@joshl, I don't know who you're quoting, but here's my advice to the OP:

It's malware. Run MalwareBytes AntiMalware, and adwcleaner, v.7.0.2.1, and then use them regularly.

joshl
                                            0 0
                                            joshl

3747 posts

• Server monkey
                                            • 2000 posts

OP is Leo! :lol:

leocg
                                            0 0
                                            leocg

13247 posts

• 10000 posts

What I'd like is for the caption boxes at the top right NOT be gray on gray.

You can't change its color.

spotty-dog
                                            0 0
                                            spotty-dog

1 posts

I had changed the wallpaper to that of a picture on my pc. I went to change the picture today and can no longer find the step to do so. I went to the Help page and found a section on Themes which seem to be the answer - except, there is no Themes option on the main menu as stated. Has this feature been discontinued?

sgunhouse
                                              0 0
                                              sgunhouse

3871 posts

• Server monkey
                                              • 2000 posts

Easiest way - go to the start page (Open a new tab if necessary) and click the settings icon (at one time it looked like a sprocket/gear, currently it looks like a series of sliding controls). Should be obvious from there.

operafox
                                              0 0
                                              Cat

11 posts

For posterity: I just discovered the Dark Theme makes the caption buttons more readable.

daviddenny
                                                0 0
                                                Soccer

2 posts

It is presumably a generic icon.