New Opera Forums launching soon!
Discussion thread

New Opera Neon - concept browser

l33t4opera
l33t4opera

860 posts

• Server monkey
  • 500 posts

Hi, say hello to Opera Neon, our new concept browser ;-)

"A year ago, we set out to explore what web browsers might look like in years to come. Now, you can try Opera Neon – a concept browser, that gives you a glimpse into the future of desktop browsers.

Today’s web browsers are not as fresh as they used to be

At Opera, we have been building web browsers for more than 20 years. We are very aware, that some parts of the web browsers we know today are nothing more than tributes to the last millennium – a time, when the web was mostly made up of documents, and pages. But the web is changing fast, and so are people’s expectations for how apps, and web pages should behave.

Opera Neon is born

To bring our vision to life, we put together a team of talented developers, and designers to work on a unique prototype browser. We created thousands of concepts, drawings, iterations, versions, and interface designs.

Today, we can finally show you Opera Neon. It is a concept browser – an experimental browser, that envisions the future of web browsers similar to the way concept cars predict the future of automobiles. Like the Opera browser, Opera Neon is built on top of the Blink engine, but unlike any other browser, Opera Neon has been built from scratch to bring you cool effects, and animations without slowing down your experience.

What’s fun and fresh in Opera Neon?

Opera Neon is packed with fun ways to interact with web content, including the ability to drag and push things around, and to even pop content out of the web and save it.

Here are some new features you won’t have seen in a browser before:
– A new start page, that uses your desktop wallpaper as its background.
– A sidebar with its own video player, image gallery, and download manager.
– A vertical, visual tab bar on the right side of the browser window, that makes it easier to distinguish between tabs.

– An intelligent system, that automatically manages your tabs. Like gravity, frequently used tabs will float to the top, while less important tabs will sink to the bottom.
– A completely new omnibox, that supports top search engines and open search.

We’ve also added new ways to enjoy web content:
– Video pop-out, which lets you play videos, while you browse other web pages.

– Snap-to-gallery lets you snapshot and crop any part of a web page, and save it to the gallery for later.

– Split screen mode lets you seamlessly view and interact with two pages at once.

It’s beautiful and it’s smart

Here’s how to manage bubble tabs:
– To open a new tab, click the plus icon on the left sidebar (the open tab will be highlighted).
– To add a favorite site to your tab bar, drag and drop the bubble there.
– To minimize a tab, click on the bubble, or click the plus icon on the left sidebar.
– To close a tab, click on the x icon next to the bubble.

You’ll find several other icons on the left sidebar - one of these is the player icon. This gathers together tabs, that are currently playing music and videos.

The camera icon on the left sidebar lets you to take a snapshot of the page, which then lands in your gallery under the landscape icon. You’ll find all your snaps there.

While Opera Neon has lots of new features – and many of the Opera browser features you know, and love – there are some key features we have not included, such as our native ad-blocker, VPN, and the ability to add extensions. The reason for this is simply that Opera Neon is a concept browser, built for experimentation, and play.

A little something extra

Opera Neon wipes away your desktop clutter by bringing your computer’s wallpaper into the browser. Or, if you want to go full-Neon, we’ve collaborated with top graphic artist Luke Choice to create two free Neon-inspired wallpapers.

The future will be here sooner than you expect

Opera Neon is a concept browser – a vision of what browsers could become. It is not designed to replace the current Opera desktop browser. However, we do plan to incorporate some of its best new features into Opera for computers as early as spring 2017.

Jump in and play, then let us know what you think of Opera Neon!

Download Opera Neon

Opera Neon is now available for Mac and Windows. www.opera.com/neon

:coffee: ;D :cheers:

132 Replies - 9855 Views

lajmccullough
1 0
lajmccullough

1 posts

Is Opera Neon open source? Can it be forked?

maartenhennekam
    0 0
    maartenhennekam

1 posts

Try to install on Windows, but get error while the installtion program is still downloading. Works beautiful on Mac!! Please fix or suppluy an off-line download.

leocg
      0 0
      leocg

13255 posts

• 10000 posts

Is Opera Neon open source? Can it be forked?

Nope. Except, of course, the Chromium part of it.

remicarles
      0 0
      remicarles

1 posts

Just decided to give it a try yesterday, and already loving it! Many of the ideas it demonstrates are very comfy and the "feel" is just very pleasant; if there's no plan to maintain it, and as lajmccullough suggested, will it be open sourced?

I've only used it for one day and yet, I'm already fearing I could have to switch back to something else :D

Great job!

regnas
        0 0
        regnas

54 posts

If Opera made this browser just to trash it like that, why bother create this page? http://www.opera.com/computer/neon

Why they don't kill it then?

Something is not right..

bowen192
          0 0
          bowen192

6 posts

• Server monkey

Some great features there.

I'm interested to know; are you going to stop at these ideas or are you going to steal absolutely all of Maxthon's features?

cvelix
          0 0
          cvelix

1 posts

Why I cannot open it any more???? On Windows 10 it just started crashing yesterday. I have tried to reinstall it, but it's the same.

I am really disappointed.

leocg
            0 0
            leocg

13255 posts

• 10000 posts

Why I cannot open it any more???? On Windows 10 it just started crashing yesterday.

Still working here.

regnas
            0 0
            regnas

54 posts

Why I cannot open it any more???? On Windows 10 it just started crashing yesterday.

Still working here.

Which build are you using? I can use it only with workarounds now...

leocg
              0 0
              leocg

13255 posts

• 10000 posts

Which build are you using?

You mean Windows 10 build? If so then it's 1607 build 14393.726.

I can use it only with workarounds now...

Which workarounds?

tomandco
              0 0
              tomandco

1 posts

Same for me, on WIN 10, It always crashing, as soon as I launch it. This since this morning. :(

whiterose5
                0 0
                whiterose5

1 posts

I have the same problem, on OS Sierra. It's quite depressing, it is such an amazing new browser.

regnas
                  0 0
                  regnas

54 posts

You mean Windows 10 build? If so then it's 1607 build 14393.726.

No, I meant the Neon version/build...

Which workarounds?

The date trick... :) If you set the date to january 10 for instance, it will work fine without close or crashing...

leocg
                    0 0
                    leocg

13255 posts

• 10000 posts

There is only one build: 1.0.2459.0

regnas
                    0 0
                    regnas

54 posts

There is only one build: 1.0.2459.0

Nope, there was a previous build before that, I think it was only available on the Opera's FTP server....

leocg
                      0 0
                      leocg

13255 posts

• 10000 posts

there was a previous build before

I'm talking about official ones. That one was an unwanted leak.

regnas
                      0 0
                      regnas

54 posts

^ Ok then, it seems like you're lucky man, since you're running it without any tricks.. :)

leocg
                        0 0
                        leocg

13255 posts

• 10000 posts

^ Ok then, it seems like you're lucky man, since you're running it without any tricks..

Maybe because I am using a 'regular' version of Windows 10? Which one you are using?

Or maybe some third part software is causing the issue?

regnas
                        0 0
                        regnas

54 posts

^ Ok then, it seems like you're lucky man, since you're running it without any tricks..

Maybe because I am using a 'regular' version of Windows 10? Which one you are using? Or maybe some third part software is causing the issue?

Hmm, I don't know, maybe....

Mine is Win 10 Pro, version 1607, build 14393.0

leocg
                          0 0
                          leocg

13255 posts

• 10000 posts

I have same version but build 14393.726

regnas
                          0 0
                          regnas

54 posts

I have same version but build 14393.726

Hmmm....

kyu3
                            2 0
                            Pirate

137 posts

• Server monkey

If Opera Software will add "Player" panel to Opera Browser, I think it is good to add this feature to Tab Menu.

I made the image about this idea :cheers: ↓↓
                            http://photozou.jp/photo/show/124201/245475663

harktu
                            0 0
                            harktu

1 posts

awesome browser!!! i use it since 5 days and love it. if you rich it with addons and extensions i believe it has chance to be new browser king. i imagine the left side bar as a usefull bar doing all needed thnings like phones... whenever i open my browser, all my social stuff to be working in background on left side bar. messenger, twitter, skype, mails. if you can do it, u ll catch the frequence of the new era ;)

kyu3
                              2 0
                              Pirate

137 posts

• Server monkey

If Opera Software will add "Player" panel to Opera Browser, I think it is good to replace Tab-Mute button with Pause & Play button on the tab of the supporting website (YouTube, SoundCloud, and so on), too. Like this image ↓↓

http://photozou.jp/photo/show/124201/245527032

Because this is simple and useful! And Pause feature can Mute the media.

jaylee611
                              0 0
                              jaylee611

1 posts

I love this browser--futuristic and minimal I really want to set it as my main browser, but one thing is holding me up. I cannot actually type Korean in the "search or type address" field. I'm on a macOS Sierra. I hope this problem to be fixed!

zalex108
                                0 0
                                zalex108

1404 posts

• Server monkey
                                • 1000 posts

Cant open Opera Neon anymore, it open and a second later crashed and disapear :( Must give up?

There is something messed in your profile, just use a clean profile (some things will be lost, check opera help if u have to save / recover some data).

PS: Path in %appdata% for Neon too.

kennyloke
                                0 0
                                kennyloke

1 posts

Hi guys, i facing same issue about the opera Neon crash during start up ! Any update that can fix this ?

Thanks

zalex108
                                  0 0
                                  zalex108

1404 posts

• Server monkey
                                  • 1000 posts

Hi guys, i facing same issue about the opera Neon crash during start up ! Any update that can fix this ? Thanks

There is something messed in your profile, just use a clean profile (some things will be lost, check opera help if u have to save / recover some data). PS: Path in %appdata% for Neon too

Try with a Clean Profile, here is the "How to" Frequently Asked Questions (Opera for Windows) .

kaemen
                                  0 0
                                  kaemen

1 posts

Why cant Opera Neon import settings (bookmarks, password, etc) from opera browser?

leocg
                                    0 0
                                    leocg

13255 posts

• 10000 posts

Why cant Opera Neon import settings (bookmarks, password, etc) from opera browser?

Because it's a concept browser, something made to show an idea, a concept and not a browser to be used on a regular basis.

zalex108
                                    0 0
                                    zalex108

1404 posts

• Server monkey
                                    • 1000 posts

Because it's a concept browser, something made to show an idea, a concept and not a browser to be used on a regular basis.

As a "trick", you can copy te content of your Opera Stable profile to Neon > Default in %Appdata%.

At least Bookmarks and some other files. (Later I'll check if everything works)

zalex108
                                    0 0
                                    zalex108

1404 posts

• Server monkey
                                    • 1000 posts

Had no time to cross out the above post text, I've tested right now but the whole profile doesn't work, just: