New Opera Forums launching soon!
Discussion thread

Why I'm still using Opera Mini 7.6.4

ornelien
ornelien

38 posts

Right now if you use Opera mini 7.6.4 you will notice that there is much more publicity. I think they have done it to encourage us to move to the latest version of opera mini. Here I give you the reasons that make me stick with the old version.(excuse my bad English)

1- It really save data: the 7.6 version has the best compression method. 2-its has the best tab switcher. Personally I don't like the full screen tab switcher 3- better Compatibility with many websites: many websites that render correctly in mini 7 doesn't work at all in the new opera mini. Many times you must disable compression. 4- Remain open: opera mini 7 save all the tabs in the memory so that you don't have to reload a Web page. You just open mini 7 and you continue just where you left. 5- copy/paste facilities : just hold on any box to copy/paste text , a must. 6- manage my search engines simply 7- simple menu button

Those are the reasons that make me stick with the old opera mini version. Because when I really want to browse the real Web I'm in another browser

3 Replies - 245 Views

astmn
    0 0
    astmn

4 posts

but does this version block ads? Lately other than normal ads people have been seeing ads from interstitial.opera-mini.net and you can't even block these ads cuz they are send to the browser directly from opera servers.

What has become of opera mini really, it was once really great and lightweight but now they have bloated it with all kinds of Spyware.

whatever999
      0 0
      whatever999

6 posts

Totally agree with all here: I'm on 7.6.40125 & always ignore Opera Mini pestering me to update. That was mainly because the (deliberately) stupid update promotion never mentions if you'll lose all your bookmarks & saved pages, presumably because Opera refuses to provide a way to back them up, & they can't provide THAT because they've buried the bookmarks & saved pages deep in the phone's non-user (=anti user) system. • Then I saw on my wife's Opera Mini (more recent) that she can't turn off image loading! That's an absolutely vital feature coz of the terrible signal strength in rural UK (due to margaret thatcher refusing to grasp that COmmunication is an intrinsically CO-operative action, so we have 10 squabbling, overstretched networks here, instead of 1 that works). • Turning off images at the start of a session is actually a great way to block Opera's data allowance-wasting "interstitial" & "adsense" bulls**t, probably why they removed it.

ornelien
        0 0
        ornelien

38 posts

The first reason of existence for the mini version is to save data. But I think have focused on something else now