New Opera forums launching soon!
Discussion thread

Opera_44.0.2510.857 crashing

pmpd9777
pmpd9777

9 posts

I just installed Opera_44.0.2510.857 on OSX 10.11.6 and it crashes. I have gone back to 43.0.2442.1165 and it is fine.

68 Replies - 1482 Views

mortengauslaa
    0 0
    mortengauslaa

1 posts

I experience the same thing. As with previous versions, I experience this when the browser is trying to open an attachment or a pop-up page.

avl
      0 0
      avl

426 posts

• Opera employee

@mortengauslaa, are you on macOS 10.12 on a MacBook Pro with Touch Bar?

@pmpd9777 when does it crash?

smparis
      1 0
      smparis

1 posts

I'm having repeated issues with Opera 44.0.2510.857 crashing. I haven't been good about keeping track of which links are causing problems...it happens when I control-click on a link in one page attempting to open content in a new tab. But the problem is pretty regular every since the update to 44.0.

Also, when I click on a link from some other source (Email, Word document, etc.) Opera opens with 2 tabs - the first is set to my default page and the second is the page I'm trying to view.

Here is my system report:

I run on a Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 gb 1600 MHz DDR3 AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB Mac OS Sierra version 10.12.4 (16E195)

pmpd9777
        0 0
        pmpd9777

9 posts

Hi avi Opera 44.0.2510.857 crashes just after I start the application.

bleduc1
          1 0
          bleduc1

46 posts

I concur with Smparis' issue. Go on Google and search for anything. Then right click or hold Ctrl on a link to open it in a new tab. Once you open that tab, Opera crashes. I am using the latest version of Opera on Mac OS X Sierra.

akirk
            0 0
            akirk

1 posts

I've switched to the Developer version to see if its fixed there but it isn't better yet. Opera really crashes a lot; it seems related to tab switching but also slightly random: when you cmd-tab away from the browser it crashes, switching to and from a tab crashes it sometimes. Mostly it restores fine but I have lost some typed content so it would be really great to get this fixed.

andyaskren
              0 0
              andyaskren

1 posts

Have installed the newest Opera browser on my iphone and two dift mac all running the latest OS, and each time I sign in to sync my Opera account, the sync crashes and I get the same sign in screen. Ad infinitum. What's going on Opera?

amaralflavio
                0 0
                amaralflavio

4 posts

Hello good afternoon, I have been using Opera for some time and recently i bought a macbook pro with Touch bar and since then opera is constantly crashing, so I researched a lot about the problem and tried everything to solve it, I installed again to make sure that everything was correct. Problems happen when I want to upload a file or download something, today I noticed that if I download the opera and don't synchronize with my account opera works perfectly, the problems do not happen anymore , When I sign in on opera with my account started to crash again, so I guess the problem is not the touch bar but something to do with the sync, because if i don't sync opera works beautifully, I do not know if this helps , But I hope it does.

bleduc1
                  0 0
                  bleduc1

46 posts

I didn't know there was more feedback. I didn't get notified. Oh well. Using Opera for Mac, the tabbing feature is the only thing that causes a crash for me (as far as I can tell so far).

Amaralflavio, I tested what you said, and I tried downloading a file while signed in to Opera, and I didn't face any issue for myself. Could it be that the type of download is what caused a crash?

amaralflavio
                    0 0
                    amaralflavio

4 posts

bleduc1, In my case, this is the problem that I am having, it does not always happen, when I want to download an image the first time it may not crash, but if i download another opera crashes, happens when uploading any kind of file, downloads of any kind as well as screenshots. Yesterday I noticed that if I do not synchronize my account none of this happens. And I've also tried the other versions of Opera beta and developer the same happens.

bleduc1
                      0 0
                      bleduc1

46 posts

That's strange. Do the uploads always trigger a crash, or do they happen randomly like downloads? And so I can test this as well, where do you upload from?

amaralflavio
                        0 0
                        amaralflavio

4 posts

Happens the same in the uploads as in the downloads, and the first time crashes and second doesn't, and the website also makes no difference, as in facebook, slack etc, any type of upload

bleduc1
                          0 0
                          bleduc1

46 posts

Hmm...I wonder why this varies through different Opera installations, because I'm not experiencing this.

amaralflavio
                            1 0
                            amaralflavio

4 posts

Today I noticed that Opera only crashes when I'm in full-screen

bleduc1
                              0 0
                              bleduc1

46 posts

I didn't get a crash, but I noticed when I come out of Full Screen mode, the icons and address bar all shift to the right.

zalex108
                                0 0
                                zalex108

1404 posts

• Server monkey
                                • 1000 posts

@ForAllWithProblems

Test with a Clean Profile, steps for Mac.
                                (There are info in many posts so read the whole discussion may be needed)

@Andyaskren

Have installed the newest Opera browser on my iphone and two dift mac all running the latest OS, and each time I sign in to sync my Opera account, the sync crashes and I get the same sign in screen. Ad infinitum. What's going on Opera?

This is Opera Mac's Desktop Forum, If your question it's about iPhone, just search or Post in Opera Mini / Coast.
                                Meanwhile, try to reinstall.

If desktop, just try with the above @ForAllWithProblems test.

pmpd9777
                                0 0
                                pmpd9777

9 posts

I created another user account on the mac, logged into the account, installed 44.0.2510.857 in that account and Opera still crashes on startup.

zalex108
                                  0 0
                                  zalex108

1404 posts

• Server monkey
                                  • 1000 posts

I created another user account on the mac, logged into the account, installed 44.0.2510.857 in that account and Opera still crashes on startup.

It's another way to create a clean profile :lol:

Now I don't know how to continue... I could try cCleaner or similar app, or fix the disk permissions.

It's there any event viewer?
                                  It's the rest of the system working fine?

pmpd9777
                                  0 0
                                  pmpd9777

9 posts

The rest of the system works fine. Unfortunately I cannot upgrade the OS any further due to the age of the Mac so I will stick with the version of Opera I am using.

sparky132
                                    0 0
                                    sparky132

12 posts

Me too. MacBookPro OS X El Capitan 10.11.6, Opera 44.0.2510.857. The crashing is definitely related to opening links in new tabs. In my experience when you Ctrl+Click and Open In New Tab it doesn't crash until you actually go to the new tab. Happens pretty much every time for me. Only since the version 44 upgrade. Surely the admins have seen hundreds of crash reports sent in - is there any comment from one of the developers?

starkrogers
                                      1 0
                                      starkrogers

2 posts

April 5th and I'm having the same issue. Control-Click to open a link in a new tab, watch it load, go to click on it and... Opera crashes.

I've got a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), with Sierra.

Ironically, I went to the About page for Opera to see what version I was running and it downloaded an update. Now it's running Version 44.0.2510.1159, and the crashing... still persists.

I ran a test before and and after the update and recorded it both times, if anyone wants links I can upload them to YouTube. I'm going to try a full restart of my computer as a third test, I'll report back in when I'm done.

bleduc1
                                        0 0
                                        bleduc1

46 posts

Hello again, I have a strange update to add. I no longer face a crash when I open links in new tabs. I'm not sure why it's not acting up any anymore. I already sent a bug report on this too.

bleduc1
                                          0 0
                                          bleduc1

46 posts

Sorry for the double post, but I just figured something out, and I think I made a mistake in the bug report I sent. I connected a mouse, and I am not facing this issue when I open links in new tabs now. If I use a stylus pen (Ugee 2150) to open a tab, I do face a crash. I previously assumed a mouse would do the same, but I'm seeing it doesn't. I'll make sure I test everything fully next time.

For anyone else who is facing this issue, are you using a tablet device of any kind?

mrelvey
                                            0 0
                                            Earth

16 posts

How do I download 43.0.2442.1165 ? I can't find it at http://arc.opera.com/pub/opera/mac/ - nothing newer than 2013?!?

mrelvey
                                              0 0
                                              Earth

16 posts

Following up on my last post (which is awaiting approval):

Opening the 'here' link at https://forums.opera.com/discussion/comment/15261648#Comment_15261648 in a new tab and clicking on the new tab reliably crashes Opera, including 44.0.2510.1159, which I just updated to.

mrelvey
                                                0 0
                                                Earth

16 posts

More or less the same issue here. The crash happens when I click on the new tab. I installed Opera for the first time in years three days or so ago and it's crashed about 20 times since then. Opera 44.0.2510.857 like the OP - horribly unstable.
                                                  Why is there no entry for Opera 44.0.2510.857 at https://www.opera.com/blogs/desktop/changelog-for-44/#b2510.1159 ?

Trying the latest / next version I was just notified of - .1159; will go back like OP if that doesn't work. (Oh, it's what I'm running now, thanks to auto-update...

Sierra 10.12.4 Beta (16E175b) on http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i5-2.5-13-mid-2012-unibody-usb3-specs.html

pmpd9777
                                                  0 0
                                                  pmpd9777

9 posts

I just updated to 44.0.2510.1159 and the issue is fixed on my Mac.

mrelvey
                                                    0 0
                                                    Earth

16 posts

I noticed that Opera installed in /Applications/Opera (1).app/ while /Applications/Opera.app/ is a version from 2007.

Is it common for Opera to install that way or is that likely the issue?

mrelvey
                                                      0 0
                                                      Earth

16 posts

I started with a clean profile and cache and still have the same problem.

Opening any link in a new tab (by right clicking) and clicking on the new tab reliably crashes Opera, including 44.0.2510.1159, which I recently updated to, and 44.0.2510.857. On a MacBookPro9,2 with 10.12.4 Beta (16E175b).

How do I disable autoupdate on Mac?

mrelvey
                                                        0 0
                                                        Earth

16 posts

How do I download 43.0.2442.1165 ? I can't find it at http://arc.opera.com/pub/opera/mac/ - nothing newer than 2013?!?

To answer my own question, see my answer at https://forums.opera.com/discussion/1883316/wrong-info-on-obtaining-old-versions#Item_5

In short: ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/desktop. Sadly, these downloads are insecure.

mrelvey
                                                          0 0
                                                          Earth

16 posts

I installed 43.0.2442.1165. WFM too.

Unfortunately, it's auto-updated to the latest:

"43.0.2442.1165 - Restart Opera to update to version 44.0.2510.1159 Relaunch Now"

:no: :scared: ;_; :down: X/ :rip:

zalex108
                                                            0 1
                                                            zalex108

1404 posts

• Server monkey
                                                            • 1000 posts

cCleaner or something?

sparky132
                                                            0 0
                                                            sparky132

12 posts

Still crashes on new release 44.0.2510.1218.

mrelvey
                                                              0 0
                                                              Earth

16 posts

Me too 44.0.2510.1218 crashes as before: "Opening any link in a new tab (by right clicking) and clicking on the new tab reliably crashes Opera." I was asked, "Could you try setting up an identifier so we can track your crash report in our database?" and ran a defaults write com.operasoftware.Opera OPCrashEmail [...] command just now to do so.

@bleduc1: Not using a tablet device of any kind. Never have. Seems like @sparky132, @starkrogers, @smparis? and I have this ...new tab issue on 4 very different MacBook Pros.

Hey, what extensions do you guys have? I just have lastpass. Same crash with it disabled.

mrelvey
                                                                0 0
                                                                Earth

16 posts

(blanked intentionally - since I can't delete.)

[Deleted User]
                                                                  0 0
                                                                  Hockey

0 posts

@mrelvey Did you try to download the installer from the official Opera website?

bleduc1
                                                                    0 0
                                                                    bleduc1

46 posts

I wonder why this issue varies for people who use the same operating system and same version of Opera. I only face the crash if I use my stylus pen. Mrelvery faces it with a mouse. Do you have any additional third party software or something that might be conflicting with Opera?

Zalex108, I am sorry to disagree, but I don't think CCleaner or any cleaning software would really come handy in this case. Learning a great deal on the Apple forums, cleaning software and anti-virus programs are more useful for Windows users, but Mac has maintenance scripts already built in. Of course, it can't hurt, but I'm not sure it would be effective. I also learned from an Apple discussion that a firewall is really outdated and pointless now. It's the VPN that matters and provides better security. I just thought that those were some pretty impressive things to share.

zalex108
                                                                      0 0
                                                                      zalex108

1404 posts

• Server monkey
                                                                      • 1000 posts

Zalex108, I am sorry to disagree, but I don't think CCleaner or any cleaning software would really come handy in this case. Learning a great deal on the Apple forums, cleaning software and anti-virus programs are more useful for Windows users, but Mac has maintenance scripts already built in. Of course, it can't hurt, but I'm not sure it would be effective. I also learned from an Apple discussion that a firewall is really outdated and pointless now. It's the VPN that matters and provides better security. I just thought that those were some pretty impressive things to share.

Well, despite Apple's architecture and functionality, we don't know anything about the users machine and if its working flawlessly.
                                                                      Some users uses Opera because his other browsers fails, then Opera, but actually it's because the system is messed, not the browser itself. Just because of that.
                                                                      Then he replied that the system is working fine, and should trust.

Apart:
                                                                      Lately there are some virus for Mac too, despite is more secure than Windows.

11 users has crash problem, how many of them tried a new profile?
                                                                      Seems that just Original poster, in another way, despite had no worked.

bleduc1
                                                                      0 0
                                                                      bleduc1

46 posts

Hmm...I see. I guess that it's really hard to tell.

I hope it's understood that I wasn't trying to sound arrogant. I just thought that the few things I learned might be worth sharing, but I guess it doesn't actually confirm this problem since we don't know the user's system like you said.

concretable
                                                                        1 0
                                                                        concretable

264 posts

April 5th and I'm having the same issue. Control-Click to open a link in a new tab, watch it load, go to click on it and... Opera crashes.

Why are you using Control-click? I use Cmd-click on a Mac to force a link to open in a new tab. Control-click opens the context menu. Since I have a 4-button trackball, I use middle-click most of the time however. I am also now using Opera 44.0.2510.1218, which is not giving me any problems. Maybe switching to the current release would help.

bleduc1
                                                                          1 0
                                                                          bleduc1

46 posts

Good thinking. Using the stylus, I realized that Cmd + Click does not result in any crashes, but for some reason, Ctrl + Click and then selecting the new tab option still does.

zalex108
                                                                            1 0
                                                                            zalex108

1404 posts

• Server monkey
                                                                            • 1000 posts

Hmm...I see. I guess that it's really hard to tell.
                                                                            I hope it's understood that I wasn't trying to sound arrogant. I just thought that the few things I learned might be worth sharing, but I guess it doesn't actually confirm this problem since we don't know the user's system like you said.

:up:

Why are you using Control-click? I use Cmd-click on a Mac to force a link to open in a new tab. Control-click opens the context menu. Since I have a 4-button trackball, I use middle-click most of the time however. I am also now using Opera 44.0.2510.1218, which is not giving me any problems. Maybe switching to the current release would help.

Good thinking. Using the stylus, I realized that Cmd + Click does not result in any crashes, but for some reason, Ctrl + Click and then selecting the new tab option still does.

Let's see if "Ctrl+Click" is causing the problem.

bleduc1
                                                                            1 0
                                                                            bleduc1

46 posts

Let's see if "Ctrl+Click" is causing the problem.

BINGO

When I was using the mouse, I didn't have any reason to use the Ctrl key because of the right clicker on the mouse. Now that I tested the Ctrl key in addition to the mouse and not the stylus, I can confirm a crash. It looks like that is the problem.

knokmki612
                                                                              0 0
                                                                              knokmki612

20 posts

Same at

• macOS Sierra 10.12.4
                                                                                • Opera stable 44.0.2510.1218
                                                                                concretable
                                                                                0 0
                                                                                concretable

264 posts

Interesting. I have the same versions of MacOS and Opera, but no problem with Control-click plus choosing "new tab" for a link. I just did that with "Markdown" on this page. No crashes.

sparky132
                                                                                  0 0
                                                                                  sparky132

12 posts

Just backing up what @bleduc1 said - it is only the 'Ctrl+click -> open in new tab' that is causing the crash.

Cmd+click works fine. As does 'right click -> open in new tab'. I have tested with/out external monitor, trackpad vs bluetooth mouse, laptop keyboard vs usb keyboard - all of those variables make no difference. As stated above it is only the Ctrl+click case that breaks (consistently, whatever the mouse/kb/monitor combination).

Any updates from the dev team?

version 44.0.2510.1218

bleduc1
                                                                                    0 0
                                                                                    bleduc1

46 posts

@concretable, I'm sure it's a silly question, but after you create a new tab by Ctrl + Click, do you test entering the tab or do you close it? Entering is the part that triggers a crash for me.

concretable
                                                                                      0 0
                                                                                      concretable

264 posts

I did go to the new tab and look at the page. No problems.

shintoplasm01
                                                                                        0 0
                                                                                        shintoplasm01

5 posts

Opera Stable (44.0.2510.1218) is also crashing on my tMBP fairly frequently. I have analysed the following behaviours which seem to crash the browser:

1. Ctrl+Click then open in new tab, as reported by several users above.
                                                                                          2. Enter full screen in a Flash video; I don't think an HTML5 video has crashed my browser yet.
                                                                                          3. When saving a file on my computer (regardless of folder location), the Save File dialog seems to crash the browser - although this doesn't seem to happen every single time, but is kind of random.

I am automatically sending my crash reports to Opera; please PM me if you need to know my email address.

shintoplasm01
                                                                                          0 0
                                                                                          shintoplasm01

5 posts

I am automatically sending my crash reports to Opera; please PM me if you need to know my email address.

Well, I suppose you can't PM on these forums but let me know if you require any further info... :)