New Opera Forums launching soon!
Discussion thread

Google Calendar won't let go.

curious273
curious273

33 posts

Whenever I visit Google calendar, it puts up a message under the bookmark bar: "Allow calendar.google.com to open all web calendar links?"

Issue #1: There is a circled i to the left of the question which seems to indicate one should click it for more information, though clicking it doesn't do anything, is that normal?

Worse is issue #2: There are only two options... close (the x on the left), and allow (the button on the right). There is no way to say "no, I don't want this." Meaning that, unless you click "allow," this alert will come up again every single time you go the calendar.

Even worse is issue #3: If I ignore it, once I subsequently navigate to some other window (say, by typing some other URL or clicking a link in the bookmark bar), the google alert persists through to the next site! So as I go from site to site, once I visit google calendar, this alert will stay in my window forever, until I acknowledge it (with an "allow" or a close).

8 Replies - 127 Views

curious273
    0 0
    curious273

33 posts

I discovered that this is partially solved by going to

Settings-->Privacy & Security-->Handlers

and selecting

"Do not allow any site to handle protocols"

This took me a while to discover, because I did not know what a "handler" was.

There does not appear to be a way to turn it off for one thing without turning it off for everything, though. (Nor does it explain the "information" icon that doesn't appear to do anything.)

sparky132
      0 0
      sparky132

12 posts

Agreed. There should be a way to dismiss a handler request for good without effecting other handlers.

sgunhouse
        0 0
        sgunhouse

3869 posts

• Server monkey
        • 2000 posts

Post about it in the Suggestion box forum to get someone's attention (though they may not reply, they will read it).

curious273
        0 0
        curious273

33 posts

re: "Post about it in the Suggestion box forum to get someone's attention (though they may not reply, they will read it)."

They don't read the stuff in this forum? That would kind of defeat the purpose of reporting bugs here!

zalex108
          0 0
          zalex108

1402 posts

• Server monkey
          • 1000 posts

re: "Post about it in the Suggestion box forum to get someone's attention (though they may not reply, they will read it)." They don't read the stuff in this forum? That would kind of defeat the purpose of reporting bugs here!

They read it, but do not reply in Suggestion box.

[Deleted User]
          0 0
          [Deleted User]

0 posts

@curious273 It seems that we are expected to report bugs here. It may still be helpful to post to this forum for our brothers and sisters who could be experiencing the same problem. It would also be nice to find a workaround in the meantime. Sometimes, we may find that it is not a bug at all.

curious273
            0 0
            curious273

33 posts

Zalex, your answer seems like a non-sequitur, I think maybe you missed the distinction I was making between this forum and the "suggestion box forum", whatever/wherever that is... i.e. I was being told I should post somewhere else rather than here if I expect someone from Opera to see it.

Tufazay, thanks for that link, I was unfamiliar with that as well.

zalex108
              0 0
              zalex108

1402 posts

• Server monkey
              • 1000 posts

your answer seems like a non-sequitur, I think maybe you missed the distinction I was making between this forum and the "suggestion box forum", whatever/wherever that is... i.e. I was being told I should post somewhere else rather than here if I expect someone from Opera to see it.

The Suggestion box is here but it is another SubForum in General Topics.
              Opera employees read Suggestion box posts but do not reply.
              They mostly reply in Mac's subforum. :lol:

I though you knew about subforums but didn't read entirely the Sgunhouse's post. ;)